Why do capacitors charge exponentially?

• Thread starter tushar gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, capacitors charge exponentially because the voltage difference changes as the capacitor charges, resulting in a decrease in current over time. This process continues until the voltage difference and current reach equilibrium. Further questions on capacitors can be posted here.
tushar gupta
Why do capacitors charge exponentially?
and do not explain by equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the current is proportional to the voltage difference, and that voltage difference changes as the capacitor charges.

At the start, the voltage difference is maximal. It's pushing the current as hard as it can through the resistor. But when those charges arrive, the voltage difference gets a little bit smaller, so it pushes the current a little less hard. Then once those charges arrive, the voltage difference gets smaller still. On and on it goes... smaller voltage differences, smaller currents.

Does that help?

thank you,thanks a lot.
i have some more doubts on capacitors and i ll keep posting them here..
thanks again.

Related to Why do capacitors charge exponentially?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates positive charge while the other accumulates negative charge.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical energy in an electric field between its two plates. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the electrical energy. The insulating dielectric material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing back and forth.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitors?

The unit of measurement for capacitors is the farad (F). However, capacitors are typically measured in smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

4. How are capacitors used in electronic circuits?

Capacitors are used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes, including energy storage, filtering, and timing. They can be used to smooth out voltage fluctuations, block direct current while allowing alternating current to pass through, and control the timing of signals. They are also commonly used in power supplies and audio equipment.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

Choosing the right capacitor for a circuit involves considering factors such as capacitance, voltage rating, and frequency. The desired capacitance and voltage rating will depend on the specific application of the circuit, while the frequency will determine the type of capacitor needed (i.e. electrolytic for low frequencies, ceramic for high frequencies). It is important to consult a datasheet or seek advice from an experienced engineer when choosing a capacitor for a circuit.