Why do birds on power lines not act as resistors?

In summary, birds are able to sit safely on power lines because their resistance is much higher compared to the resistance of the wire they are sitting on. This causes the majority of the current to flow through the wire instead of the bird. However, large birds such as eagles and owls can bridge the gap between wires, resulting in a bright flash and potential electrocution. In low power lines, birds do not complete the circuit and therefore do not get electrocuted, but in high power lines, they can potentially complete the circuit and suffer electrocution.
Bassalisk said:
Is it because the probe is initial at 0 potential with respect the to power line? And whole chopper is at 0 potential?
I think you mean to ask if the probe is at +/-500kV. Yes.

The other thing to note is that the AC potential is, well, AC. The current discharge is therefore continuous AC until they are clipped on, because the helo acts as a capacitor drawing + then - charge on each cycle of the AC on the line. Once clipped on, the helo and the guys are both bouncing up and down through 500kV AC, with respect to ground, 50 [or 60, dependent on network] times a second. That's why they have to 'probe off' as they leave the line, as well as when they come up to the line.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm assuming those three lines are phase A for example?

psparky said:

Yes I was wondering too. Because when I saw him touching all 3 I was like :O

Bassalisk said:
Yes I was wondering too. Because when I saw him touching all 3 I was like :O

CMB...I'm assuming you have a physics background. EE's don't think much in the way of charge or capacitance. We tend to run from that stuff!

Also, you explanation is clearly better, but I believe my V=IR explanation still holds true.

psparky said:

Clearly!

If I were designing power lines [I don't, but just thinking it through], I'd really want redundancy in each phase. This strikes me as being essential because if one single line were to fail mechanically, you'd still get power transmission if there were multiple lines.

However, if one phase were to drop out, then you are in biiiig doggy doo-doo, if it is a network link. This is because you'd likely get a sudden phase-change in the link and where the next link in the network meets it there would be a phase error. This would trip the next link. That in turn puts a bigger load on the next link, which changes its phase, tripping out the next link, etc., etc.. I believe this is what happened in California a few years back, one link went down from overloading and it dragged all the others it was connected to down with it.

This is one of the highly beneficial engineering advantages of HVDC transmission as network distance links - there are no possible phase errors.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the skin depth of copper at 60 Hz is 8.5mm, so there is no point in having 60Hz AC power lines greater than 17mm in diameter. So in the video you see 3 ~17mm wide conductors. Wider conductors would be just a waste of copper, as the conduction losses would be exactly the same as a 17mm diameter conductor. So, for a given power transmission (viz. a given current) you need a certain multiple of 17mm diameter copper cables, rather than one big diameter one.

thinking real simply

let's take your 1 pf
and charge it to 500 kv

Q = CV = 1E-12 X 5E5 = 5E-7 Coulomb

that charge moves 120 times per second (it's 60 hz ac)

5E-7 Coulomb X 120 /sec= 60 microamps

so a current on order of 60 ua /pf will flow into anything connected to a 500 kv line.
and that's why a tiny current flows into a bird's feet - to charge the small capacitance of his body up to line voltage.

In my tinkering with old analog meters i figured out that my threshold of feeling electric current is somewhere around fifty micro-amps.
a quick google gave widely varied numbers for human body capacitance, generally in tens of picofarads. How to guesstimate a bird?

Linemen i knew wore a cloth suit with conductive fibers in it and the whole suit gets charged to line voltage. That way the current flows in the suit not him, else he wouldn't be able to hold his tools.

As to those swamp birds - sorry for the lack of clarity. The wires were about twelve feet below the steel crossarm where the birds roosted, and when a big heron emits a stream that's right over the conductor - well - flash bang he completes the circuit!