Why dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma model corresponding to temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nonlinear sigma model and its connection to critical theory. The Lagrangian of the model is proportional to the temperature, but the speaker is unsure why. They also mention a mistake in the Lagrangian and ask about the relationship between the critical temperature Tc and the Wilson fix-point T*. There is also a question about the mass parameter in the model and the behavior of the heat capacity at the critical temperature. The speaker believes that at the critical point, the heat capacity diverges in both first and second phase transitions.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
In QTF theory book of Schoeder say:
In nonlinear sigma model L=[itex]\int[/itex]dx[itex]\frac{1}{2g^{2}}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex]
[itex]_{\mu}[/itex]n[itex]^{\rightarrow}[/itex])(consider2<d<4 where d is the dimension number of spacetime).If we consider the Lagrangian as the Boltzman weight of a partition function,then the dimensionless coupling square(g)M[itex]^{d-2}[/itex] is proportional with temperature.But I do not understand why?
Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry,I have a mistaking:I have missed the square of the derivative of vector n in the Lagrangian of nonlinear sigma model.By the way I would like to ask another question:Why the critical temperature Tc corresponding with the fix-point T*(where T* is Wilson fix-point of T=g[itex]^{2}[/itex]M[itex]^{d-2}[/itex])(and T is corresponding with temperature as I asked above).

I would like to add that the condition pose on n that n[itex]^{2}[/itex]=1 in nonlinear sigma model.

It seem to me the critical phenomena would be related with Landau-Ginzbua theory(classical saying).Then I do not understand why the nonlinear sigma model also relate with critical theory?In Landau theory the T-Tc corresponds to mass parameter,but how about the nonlinear model,because in this model where is mass parameter?

It seem to me that at critical temperature point the heat capacity has a leap,then the temperature at this point stops to decrease(or increase),so the beta function corresponding the temperature(beta(T))(in nonlinear sigma model) is zero at this point.So that critical temperature Tc coincides with the Wilson fix-point of the temperature.Is that correct?

Please teach this is correct or not:
It seem that in first and second phase transition,at critical point the heat capacity is diverge.
Thank you very much for any answer.

Related to Why dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma model corresponding to temperature?

1. What is the significance of dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma models?

Dimensionless coupling is a parameter that measures the strength of interaction between different fields in a nonlinear sigma model. It is important because it determines the behavior of the system at different energy scales and can provide insights into the underlying physical processes.

2. How does dimensionless coupling relate to temperature in nonlinear sigma models?

In nonlinear sigma models, the dimensionless coupling is related to temperature through a mathematical relationship known as the renormalization group flow. This flow describes how the coupling changes as the energy scale of the system is varied, and thus provides a connection between the two variables.

3. Why is it important to study dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma models at different temperatures?

Studying the behavior of dimensionless coupling at different temperatures allows us to understand how the system behaves at different energy scales. This can provide insights into the phase transitions and critical behavior of the system, which are important phenomena in many areas of physics.

4. How does dimensionless coupling affect the thermodynamic properties of a system?

The dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma models plays a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic properties of a system. It can affect the phase transitions, critical behavior, and other thermodynamic quantities such as specific heat and susceptibility. Understanding its behavior is essential for predicting and explaining the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma models be experimentally measured?

Yes, dimensionless coupling in nonlinear sigma models can be experimentally measured through various techniques such as scattering experiments, spectroscopy, and numerical simulations. These measurements provide valuable information about the behavior of the system and can be compared to theoretical predictions to test our understanding of the underlying physical processes.