Why didn't we need to calculate the x-component in our pulley system lab?

In summary, we had a lab 2 weeks ago that dealt with predicting the "known unknown" masses (we know it's 250g and we have to experiment to try and get to 250g as close as possible) within a pulley system. The first step was to resolve the tension into horizontal and vertical components, and then sum the horizontal components. If I add T1y and T2y together, the magnitude of this resultant vector will be the weight of the unknown mass.
santoki
We had a lab 2 weeks ago that dealt with predicting the "known unknown" masses (we know it's 250g and we have to experiment to try and get to 250g as close as possible) within a pulley system.

All three trials we had for part 1, where the known unknown was placed in the middle, we only needed to calculate for its y-component. I was just wondering why didn't we need to calculate the x-component?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi santoki. Seems you forget to attach the diagram showing the pulley & rope system you were using.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi santoki. Seems you forget to attach the diagram showing the pulley & rope system you were using.

Oh sorry. Here is the system for trial 1:

qyVspeb.jpg

Let's label as point A that point on the M-shaped rope where the unknown mass is hanging from.

First step, resolve tension T1 into its horizontal and vertical components.
Repeat this for T2

Since the system is in equilibrium, what can you say about the sum at A of the horizontal components of all the forces acting there? See whether you can form this into a mathematical expression.

And about the sum of the vertical components at A? Do the same for that.

See any clues yet towards answering your original question?

NascentOxygen said:
Let's label as point A that point on the M-shaped rope where the unknown mass is hanging from.

First step, resolve tension T1 into its horizontal and vertical components.
Repeat this for T2

Since the system is in equilibrium, what can you say about the sum at A of the horizontal components of all the forces acting there? See whether you can form this into a mathematical expression.

And about the sum of the vertical components at A? Do the same for that.

See any clues yet towards answering your original question?

I was thinking that the masses hung at the sides served only to change the direction of the force applied and the unknown force is the equilibrant force which is equal in magnitude but of opposite direction to the resultant force. So if I add T1y and T2y together, the magnitude of this resultant vector will be the weight of the unknown mass.

Am I thinking of it correctly?

santoki said:
So if I add T1y and T2y together, the magnitude of this resultant vector will be the weight of the unknown mass.

Am I thinking of it correctly?
That's it in words, so can you express this mathematically?

Related to Why didn't we need to calculate the x-component in our pulley system lab?

What is the concept of forces in equilibrium?

Forces in equilibrium refer to a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no overall change in the object's motion. This means that the net force is equal to zero, and the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How do you determine if forces are in equilibrium?

To determine if forces are in equilibrium, you must first calculate the net force acting on the object by adding together all the individual forces. If the net force is equal to zero, the forces are in equilibrium. This can also be visualized using a free body diagram, where all the forces acting on the object are drawn and the net force is calculated.

What are the two types of forces involved in equilibrium?

The two types of forces involved in equilibrium are balanced forces and unbalanced forces. Balanced forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in no change in an object's motion. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, have a net force that is not equal to zero and will cause an object to accelerate or decelerate.

How does the Law of Equilibrium apply to forces?

The Law of Equilibrium states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the net force acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that if forces are balanced, the object will remain at rest or in constant motion. If forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the larger force.

What are some real-world examples of forces in equilibrium?

Some real-world examples of forces in equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, and a car driving at a constant speed on a flat road. In each of these scenarios, the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no change in motion.