Why didn't this work? (Pun intended)

• Thread starter Kyle.Nemeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power for a loaded ore car being pulled up a mineshaft by a winch. It involves finding the power for both constant speed and maximum instantaneous power, as well as the total energy transferred by the winch motor. The correct approach for finding the maximum instantaneous power is P = Fv, while the total change in energy over time gives the average power.
Kyle.Nemeth

Homework Statement

A loaded ore car has a mass of 950 kg and rolls on rails with negligible friction. It starts from rest and is pulled up a mineshaft by a cable connected to a winch. The shaft is inclined at 30o above the horizontal. The car accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.20 m/s in 12.0 s and then continues at constant speed. (a) What power must the winch motor provide when the car is moving at constant speed? (b) What maximum power must the winch motor provide? (c) What total energy has transferred out of the winch motor by work by the time the car moves off the end of the track, which is of length 1250 m?

Homework Equations

P=W/t
W=ΔK+ΔU
v=vo+at
x=xo+vot+½at2
Sinθ=O/H

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm okay with (a), but I'm working on part (b). I assume that the max power the winch must provide can be found by considering the total change in mechanical energy of the system over a time t.

My result is,

Pmax=½mv[(v/t)+gsinθ]

This gives me half of the max power. Does the total change in mechanical energy of the system not govern the max power output of the winch?

Does the net force on the cart govern the max power the winch must provide?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question (b) is asking for the maximum instantaneous power. Do you know how to express the instantaneous power in terms of force F and velocity v?

Yeah,

P=F⋅v

right?..

I used P=Fv, then I used Newtons second law to show that,

Pmax=mv[(v/t)+gsinθ]

Which is the correct answer.. I'm wondering why this approach has given me the right answer but my approach gave me half of the correct answer.

Total change in energy over time gives average power for the interval of time rather than an instantaneous power.

At the start, t = 0, the power is zero since P = Fv and v = 0 at t = 0.
At time tf = 12.0s just before the acceleration goes to zero the instantaneous power is P = Fvf where vf is the velocity at time tf. P = Fvf is the maximum instantaneous power.

Due to the fact that the acceleration is constant between t = 0 and t = tf, the average power is just the average of the initial and final power:

Pavg = (1/2)(0 + Fvf) = (1/2)Fvf = (1/2)Pmax.

Likes Kyle.Nemeth
Ahhh, okay. I understand.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

Related to Why didn't this work? (Pun intended)

1. Why didn't my experiment produce the expected results?

There could be several reasons why your experiment did not produce the expected results. It is possible that there were errors in the experimental design or execution, the equipment used was faulty, or there were external factors that influenced the outcome. It is important to carefully review the experiment and its procedures to identify any potential issues.

2. Could the results be due to chance or random variation?

In some cases, the results of an experiment may appear to be different from the expected outcome due to chance or random variation. This is why scientists often perform multiple trials of an experiment to ensure the results are consistent and not just a fluke. Statistical analysis can also help determine if the results are significant or just due to chance.

3. Did I use the correct methodology or technique?

The methodology or technique used in an experiment can greatly impact the outcome. It is important to carefully follow the established methods and protocols to ensure accurate and reliable results. If you are unsure about the methodology, consult with other scientists or experts in the field.

4. Were there any variables that were not controlled for?

In order to obtain accurate results, it is crucial to control for all variables that may affect the outcome of an experiment. This includes controlling for external factors, using proper controls, and replicating the experiment. Failure to control for variables can lead to unexpected results.

5. Could there be a flaw in the hypothesis?

The hypothesis is the foundation of any scientific experiment and should be carefully constructed and tested. If the hypothesis is not supported by the results, it may be necessary to revise or rethink the hypothesis. This could also lead to new insights and avenues for further research.