Why didn't the wrecking ball smash his head?

In summary: The point of this experiment is to correct that kind of intuitive "this is going to hurt" judgement. Lewin's version uses a fairly shallow arc, but imagine one where the suspending cable starts at 45°. If you lean forward 5cm (~2in) the ball hits you when it only has 5cm to climb before stopping, so its kinetic energy is the same as the remaining gravitational potential ##mgh##. Even if the ball weighs 10kg (an estimate on the heavy side, I suspect) that's only 5J, and it can't push your head back more than 5cm. That won't be fun but it's unlikely to be lethal - I don't know how reliable this site is, but it suggests your average
Chenkel
TL;DR Summary
In a Walter Lewin lecture the wrecking ball was released at the height of the glass and ended up breaking the glass
[Mentor Note -- post appears to have been edited based on post #2]

Hello everyone! I was watching a Walter Lewin lecture and saw him do something very dangerous, he released a wrecking ball at a certain height from the ground, upon returning the ball did not smash his head. If you watch the video, you see him touch some glass with the ball, release it at seemingly 0 velocity, and the ball comes back, and smashes the glass! Wouldn't you expect the ball to not touch the glass on the return journey? That's what I'm confused about, here's the video, the segment is about 46:36 into the video

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to help you but I am not going to watch a 1-hour long video. Please provide a time reference so that I (we) can fast forward to the event that you are describing without having to go through the other stuff.

Likes Chenkel and Vanadium 50
kuruman said:
I would like to help you but I am not going to watch a 1-hour long video. Please provide a time reference so that I (we) can fast forward to the event that you are describing without having to go through the other stuff.
I believe it's 46 minutes and 36 seconds in. After watching the video again, it looks like he does add a little velocity, let me know if you guys see the same, thank you!

In one of my undergrad Physics classes, the prof did a similar demonstration in the lecture hall (probably 300 students attending). He pulled the rope and bowling ball weight up as he climbed a ladder on one side of the stage, then held the ball to his chin and released it to swing away and then back at him.

Everybody in the building expected the experiment to be a success and the ball to stop and turn around at the same point right in front of his chin, but unfortunately for the professor, he was not careful controlling his body position (and his associated head position) during the few seconds of the swing. It turned out that he had drifted an inch or two forward, and...

He was not injured, but his pride sure was! :smile:

Likes Lnewqban and Chenkel
berkeman said:
In one of my undergrad Physics classes, the prof did a similar demonstration in the lecture hall (probably 300 students attending). He pulled the rope and bowling ball weight up as he climbed a ladder on one side of the stage, then held the ball to his chin and released it to swing away and then back at him.

Everybody in the building expected the experiment to be a success and the ball to stop and turn around at the same point right in front of his chin, but unfortunately for the professor, he was not careful controlling his body position (and his associated head position) during the few seconds of the swing. It turned out that he had drifted an inch or two forward, and...

He was not injured, but his pride sure was! :smile:
That's amazing he didn't die because bowling balls are very heavy! He sure is one lucky guy

Chenkel said:
That's amazing he didn't die because bowling balls are very heavy! He sure is one lucky guy
An inch of acceleration is not very much.

Likes Chenkel and berkeman
berkeman said:
He was not injured, but his pride sure was!
It is best to do this with your back to a wall. Otherwise, it is natural to lean back when holding the ball, and to stand up straight after releasing it, This is sub-optimal.

There is good news - you're getting smacked in the face when the energy is mostly potential and the ball is at its slowest.

Likes berkeman
Chenkel said:
The point of this experiment is to correct that kind of intuitive "this is going to hurt" judgement. Lewin's version uses a fairly shallow arc, but imagine one where the suspending cable starts at 45°. If you lean forward 5cm (~2in) the ball hits you when it only has 5cm to climb before stopping, so its kinetic energy is the same as the remaining gravitational potential ##mgh##. Even if the ball weighs 10kg (an estimate on the heavy side, I suspect) that's only 5J, and it can't push your head back more than 5cm. That won't be fun but it's unlikely to be lethal - I don't know how reliable this site is, but it suggests your average untrained guy can deliver around 100J with a punch - which is eminently survivable or the pubs at the dodgy end of town would be strewn with dead bodies on a Saturday night.

Also, look at Lewin's video again - the ball comes to rest quite a long way short of his face. He's smart enough to use a fairly lossy system so he has quite a safety margin due to friction slowing the ball, and he could lean forward an inch or two with no risk. So a minor posture change like @berkeman's lecturer made probably barely brought him into contact - but even a light tap on the jaw is quite shocking, especially if you weren't expecting it.

Likes berkeman
Ibix said:
The point of this experiment is to correct that kind of intuitive "this is going to hurt" judgement. Lewin's version uses a fairly shallow arc, but imagine one where the suspending cable starts at 45°. If you lean forward 5cm (~2in) the ball hits you when it only has 5cm to climb before stopping, so its kinetic energy is the same as the remaining gravitational potential ##mgh##. Even if the ball weighs 10kg (an estimate on the heavy side, I suspect) that's only 5J, and it can't push your head back more than 5cm. That won't be fun but it's unlikely to be lethal - I don't know how reliable this site is, but it suggests your average untrained guy can deliver around 100J with a punch - which is eminently survivable or the pubs at the dodgy end of town would be strewn with dead bodies on a Saturday night.

Also, look at Lewin's video again - the ball comes to rest quite a long way short of his face. He's smart enough to use a fairly lossy system so he has quite a safety margin due to friction slowing the ball, and he could lean forward an inch or two with no risk. So a minor posture change like @berkeman's lecturer made probably barely brought him into contact - but even a light tap on the jaw is quite shocking, especially if you weren't expecting it.
I believe where the force is applied is also significant when considering potential injury. I heard of a story, if I recount correctly, a man was swimming in a pool, and as he swam to one side, he failed to notice the wall approaching; I believe his head was aimed slightly upward, and a relatively small force pushed his head backward, and he ended up with a broken neck. The story was told to me by my father, so I'm not sure how much force was involved, but I've heard of many broken necks every year from accidents in pools, so it's something to keep in mind.

A man weighing 70kg doing 1m/s (~2mph, which a quick Google suggests is a typical human swimming speed) has 35J to dissipate, and would tend to keep going where the pendulum is constrained to stop after 5cm. I'd be surprised if 35J was enough to kill, but I'm told there are angles where necks dislocate quite easily. But we're talking about 5J with 5cm of follow-through, much of which would be absorbed by the jaw.

I'm not suggesting stepping in front of swinging wrecking balls is good for your health, but I think you'd have to take a fairly large step forward for this experiment to be risky. There's a reason Lewin used glass and not anything tougher when he wanted to show something breaking!

Likes Chenkel

1. Why didn't the wrecking ball smash his head?

The wrecking ball did not smash his head because of the laws of physics. The force of the wrecking ball is determined by its mass and velocity, and the force would have been directed towards the ground rather than his head due to gravity.

2. Could his hard hat have protected him from the wrecking ball?

It is possible that the hard hat could have provided some protection, but it ultimately depends on the force and impact of the wrecking ball. If the force was strong enough, the hard hat may not have been able to withstand the impact.

3. Was the wrecking ball controlled by a person or a machine?

In most cases, the wrecking ball is controlled by a machine. This allows for precise movements and calculations to ensure the safety and accuracy of the demolition process.

4. What other safety measures were in place to prevent accidents like this?

Aside from wearing protective gear, other safety measures may include barricades or warning signs to keep people away from the demolition site. There may also be trained professionals overseeing the demolition process to ensure safety protocols are followed.

5. Is it common for accidents to happen during demolition using a wrecking ball?

While accidents can happen during any type of construction or demolition work, proper safety measures and protocols are usually in place to prevent them. It is not common for accidents to occur during demolition using a wrecking ball when proper precautions are taken.