Why did we use a capacitor in this circuit?

• Thread starter GIORGI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, a capacitor saves electrical energy by increasing the voltage across it when it is full. This is useful for generating a really bright flash for a camera.
GIORGI
I KNOW WHAT CAPACITOR IS. IT'S AN EQUIPMENT THAT SAVES ELECTRICAL ENERGY.
MY QUESTION IS THIS:
LET'S IMAGINE WE HAVE A CIRCUIT : BATTERY, A LIGHT, AND CAPACITOR. CURRENT FLOWS THROUGH ALL OF THEM. CAPACITOR IS TRYING TO SAVE ENERGY,ITS VOLTAGE IS INCREASING, AND FINALLY, WHEN IT'S FULLY CHARGED, A LIGHT gets switched off.
then,when this all happened, question is why did we use capacitor? what did it help us with? maybe I didn't want light to be switched off, but let's say I wanted it, then looking at this condition, what am i going to do with capacitor that has energy now?

Physics news on Phys.org
You wouldn't use a capacity in that circumstance.

Imagine a different real world scenario. You want to generate a really bright flash for a camera, you need a load of energy to get the flash to the level you need, but you don't want to design something that requires really big batteries. What do you do? You build a circuit that charges up a capacity over a period of time (could be a few seconds, could be longer) using small batteries, and when you get a full charge, you release it from the capacitor into the flash circuit and get the voltage required to make your flash really flash!

GIORGI said:
I KNOW WHAT CAPACITOR IS. IT'S AN EQUIPMENT THAT SAVES ELECTRICAL ENERGY.
MY QUESTION IS THIS:
LET'S IMAGINE WE HAVE A CIRCUIT : BATTERY, A LIGHT, AND CAPACITOR. CURRENT FLOWS THROUGH ALL OF THEM. CAPACITOR IS TRYING TO SAVE ENERGY,ITS VOLTAGE IS INCREASING, AND FINALLY, WHEN IT'S FULLY CHARGED, A LIGHT gets switched off.
then,when this all happened, question is why did we use capacitor? what did it help us with? maybe I didn't want light to be switched off, but let's say I wanted it, then looking at this condition, what am i going to do with capacitor that has energy now?
If you now remove the battery, and place a jumper in its place, the bulb will once again light for the same time. A useful energy store.

Related to Why did we use a capacitor in this circuit?

1. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductors, separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores energy, which can be released when the capacitor is discharged.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

A capacitor has many uses in electronic circuits. It can act as a temporary energy storage device, smoothing out fluctuations in voltage and current. It can also act as a filter, blocking certain frequencies of electrical signals while allowing others to pass through. Capacitors are also used in timing circuits, power supplies, and audio equipment.

3. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The capacitance, voltage rating, and physical size are important factors to consider when choosing a capacitor for your circuit. The capacitance is measured in farads and determines how much energy the capacitor can store. The voltage rating indicates the maximum voltage the capacitor can handle without breaking down. The physical size of the capacitor may also be important if space is limited in your circuit. It is best to consult a datasheet or seek guidance from a knowledgeable electronics supplier when choosing a capacitor.

4. Can a capacitor hold a charge indefinitely?

No, a capacitor cannot hold a charge indefinitely. Over time, the electric field in a capacitor will start to break down the dielectric material, causing it to lose its ability to store energy. In addition, leakage currents can cause a capacitor to slowly discharge. However, some capacitors are designed to have a very long lifespan and can hold a charge for many years.

5. How do I test a capacitor to see if it is functioning properly?

There are a few ways to test a capacitor, depending on the equipment you have available. One common method is to use a multimeter set to the capacitance function. This will measure the capacitance value of the capacitor and can help determine if it is within the expected range. Another method is to use an oscilloscope to measure the waveform across the capacitor when it is charging and discharging. If the waveform is distorted or there is a high amount of ripple, the capacitor may be faulty. In some cases, a capacitor can also be visually inspected for signs of physical damage, such as bulging or leaking fluid.