Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy in a Swinging Child

• Thread starter floydzeppelinfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the question involves finding the gravitational potential energy of a 40.0 kg child on a swing attached to ropes of 2.00m length, under two conditions: when the ropes are horizontal and when the child is at the bottom of a circular arc. The formula for gravitational potential energy is Pe = mass x gravity x height, but the height is not specified. By drawing a picture, it can be determined that the height at the bottom of the arc is zero, giving the answer for part B. For part A, the swing is at the same height as the center of the circle, which is 2 meters above the bottom of the circle. Therefore, the height for part A is 2 meters.
floydzeppelinfan
Ok, this question is really making me mad... Keep in mind I just started to learn physics, so I'm not exactly a genious or anything...
but anyway here is the question:

A 40.0 kg child in a swing that is attatched to ropes 2.00m long. Find the gravitational potential energy associated with the child relative to the child's lowest position under the following conditions...

A. when the ropes are horizontal
B. at the bottom ofa circular arc

Now i understand that the formula is Pe = mass x gravity x height

BUT HOW MUST I FIND THE HEIGHT? i am just going back and forth on this one, any help is appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, draw a picture. The swing at the end of the rope traces out a circle of radius 2 meters.

If they're asking about the energy relative to the lowest position, then they mean that the height at the bottom of the arc is zero. So right there, you have the answer to B. For A, if the ropes are horizontal, then the swing is at the same height as the center of the circle. How far is that above the bottom of the circle, given the circle's radius is 2 meters?

wouldn't the height in part A be 1 ?

No. The vertical distance from the bottom of the circle to its center (and thus, to any point on a horizontal line passing through its center) is the radius of the circle.

Last edited:
OOOOOOOO that just hit me like a wall, thank you... just to confirm this , the height is 2 on A and 0 on B

Yes.

Related to Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy in a Swinging Child

What is the average height for a human?

The average height for a human varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and ethnicity. However, the average height for an adult male is around 5 feet 9 inches, and for an adult female is around 5 feet 4 inches.

What is considered a tall height?

Tall height is subjective, but generally, a height above 6 feet for males and above 5 feet 7 inches for females is considered tall.

Can height be predicted?

Yes, height can be predicted to some extent based on an individual's genetic factors, nutrition, and overall health. However, it is not an exact science and can vary from person to person.

Is it possible to increase height after a certain age?

While it is not possible to significantly increase height after a certain age (usually after the growth plates fuse around age 18-21), certain lifestyle factors such as proper nutrition and exercise can help maintain good posture and make an individual appear taller.

Are there any health risks associated with being too tall or too short?

Being too tall or too short does not necessarily pose health risks. However, extreme heights (either very tall or very short) may increase the risk of certain health conditions such as joint problems or heart disease.