Why did the Apollo spacecraft go into Earth orbit first?

In summary, you were playing Kerbal Space Program and found the simplest way to get to outer planets is to launch straight up at dawn and the simplest way to get to inner planets is to launch straight up at dusk. In both cases to mess about with going into Kerbal orbit is not necessary. This got you thinking about trying a Mun shot this way. It took a few tries to get the timing right, but when you did, it worked beautifully.
mrspeedybob
I've been playing Kerbal Space Program. I have found the simplest way to get to an outer planet is to launch straight up at dawn and the simplest way to get to an inner planet is to launch straight up at dusk, and in neither case to mess about with going into Kerbal orbit. This got me to thinking about trying a Mun shot this way. It took a few tries to get the timing right, but when I did, it worked beautifully.

Clearly NASA's job of getting a man to the Moon from Earth would be a bit more complicated because the Moon's orbit is not exactly co-axial with Earth's rotation and Cape Canaveral is not exactly on the equator. But, I can't think of anything wrong with the principle of it. Time the launch so that going straight up (or nearly straight up) puts you on an intercept course with the object you want to intercept.

So my question is, what is the point of putting a spacecraft into Earth orbit before taking off towards to Moon? Or, more generally, towards whatever object is your destination?

Physics news on Phys.org
Staging? Systems, safety checks?

mrspeedybob said:
So my question is, what is the point of putting a spacecraft into Earth orbit before taking off towards to Moon? Or, more generally, towards whatever object is your destination?

You were playing a video game. NASA had to do it for real. The stakes are a bit different.

Likes D H
There are three basic reasons. First to configure the spacecraft for its trip to the moon the command and service module had to turn around and dock with the lunar module before the translunar orbit injection burn. Secondly, to calculate the best burn time it was necessary to know the state vector (orbital characteristics and velocity) to make sure the burn pushed the spacecraft in the right direction to minimise fuel use by additional correction burns during the trip to lunar orbit. Finally, can you imagine the checklist after reaching orbit and getting ready to turn the CSM round to dock with the LEM? You wouldn't want to do any of that on the hoof.

Blibbler said:
There are three basic reasons. First to configure the spacecraft for its trip to the moon the command and service module had to turn around and dock with the lunar module before the translunar orbit injection burn.

I initially thought this was the mission profile for the lunar flights. However, the S-IVB engine (the third stage) was used to send the S-IVB, the CSM and the LM into the translunar injection phase. Shortly after TLI, the CSM separated from the S-IVB and then executed the maneuver to dock with and extract the LM from the booster. In the early Apollo lunar missions, the S-IVB was sent into a solar orbit; after Apollo XII, the boosters were crashed into the Moon to collect readings from seismic instruments placed on the lunar surface.

Related to Why did the Apollo spacecraft go into Earth orbit first?

1. Why did the Apollo spacecraft go into Earth orbit first?

The Apollo spacecraft went into Earth orbit first in order to test its systems and ensure that everything was functioning properly before attempting a more challenging mission to the moon. This also allowed for any necessary adjustments or repairs to be made before embarking on the longer journey to the moon.

2. Was it necessary for Apollo to go into Earth orbit first?

Yes, it was necessary for Apollo to go into Earth orbit first. It was a crucial step in the mission planning process and provided valuable information and data for future missions. It also allowed for the astronauts to acclimate to the environment of space before attempting a longer and more complex mission to the moon.

3. How long did the Apollo spacecraft stay in Earth orbit?

The Apollo spacecraft typically stayed in Earth orbit for approximately 2-3 days before embarking on the journey to the moon. This allowed for enough time to test the systems and make any necessary adjustments, while also conserving fuel for the longer journey ahead.

4. Did Apollo orbit the entire Earth during its orbit?

Yes, the Apollo spacecraft orbited the entire Earth during its orbit. This allowed for a full view of the planet and its weather patterns, which provided valuable information for future missions. However, the spacecraft's orbit was elliptical, so it did not always pass over the exact same locations each time.

5. What other experiments were conducted during Apollo's Earth orbit?

During Apollo's Earth orbit, various experiments were conducted to study the effects of space travel on the human body, as well as to gather data on the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field. This included taking measurements of radiation levels, testing the effects of weightlessness on astronauts, and studying the Earth's magnetic field using special instruments on board the spacecraft.