Why Did Heavier Masses Fall Faster in My Atwood's Machine Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Atwood's machine to test the effect of mass on the speed of falling bodies. While research suggests that objects fall at the same rate regardless of weight, the experiment on the Atwood's machine showed that heavier masses fell faster. The question of whether or not the pulley mass was neglected and if air resistance played a factor in the results is also raised. The conversation also brings up the concept that as the mass difference between the two objects on the Atwood's machine increases, the acceleration also increases. The link provided explains the necessary conditions for neglecting pulley mass and the relationship between mass ratio and acceleration.
rstaniec
I used atwoods machine to test the affect of mass on the speed of falling bodies. My research said objects fall at the same rate no matter their weight. When I tested this on Atwoods machine heavier masses fell faster. Can someone tell me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you're referring to? Atwood's machine

Did you neglect pully mass?

From the pictures I looked at, on some of the larger machines air resistance would play a minor (but still calculatable). This and the mass of the pully and the tension/strechting of the string would all contribute greatly to a source of error.

Last edited:
experiment

I used a similar machine. Mine had two pulleys. I would not think pulley mass would have an effect because I used the same pulley and set up for each mass I dropped. I first balanced two masses. then I added 5 grams of weight to one side and measured the time it took to fall 1 meter. I then added 5 more grams and measured the time it took to fall 1 meter. the heavier the mass the less time it took to fall.

air resistance not be a source of error because I used lumps of clay with the same surface area.

rstaniec said:
I first balanced two masses. then I added 5 grams of weight to one side and measured the time it took to fall 1 meter. I then added 5 more grams and measured the time it took to fall 1 meter. the heavier the mass the less time it took to fall.
The greater the mass difference, the greater the net force acting on the two masses. As the mass difference approaches infinity, the acceleration approaches g. What else would you expect? It is not an error! These masses are constrained (they are attached to each other via a pulley); they are not freely falling. Check out the link that Q_Goest provided.

Adding to Doc Al's comment, I must say:
1) Your argument for why you can neglect the pulley mass is completely wrong.
You can do so only if
a) Frictional forces are negligible ("reasonable")
EDIT: That is, about the axis.
AND
b) the effective mass of the pulley (i.e, its moment of inertia divided by its squared radius) is much smaller than the sum of the two masses.

This is quite a different statement than yours.

2) Secondly, Q-Guest's link shows that (given that you may neglect the pulley mass) if the mass RATIO is constant, then the acceleration remains constant as well.
That is something you ought to verify (I doubt you'll be able to disprove it)

Last edited:

Related to Why Did Heavier Masses Fall Faster in My Atwood's Machine Experiment?

1. What is a falling bodies experiment?

A falling bodies experiment is an experiment in which the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity is observed and measured.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of falling objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. As a result, objects in free fall accelerate at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. What factors can affect the results of a falling bodies experiment?

The mass and shape of the object, air resistance, and the presence of other forces such as friction can all impact the results of a falling bodies experiment.

4. How is the velocity of a falling object calculated?

The velocity of a falling object can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

5. What is the significance of conducting a falling bodies experiment?

Conducting a falling bodies experiment allows us to study and understand the laws of motion and gravity. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.