Why curvature of a plane curve is k =d(phi)/ds?

In summary, the curvature of a plane curve is defined as the magnitude of the second derivative of the curve's parametrization with respect to arc length. This can also be expressed as the magnitude of the tangential vector divided by the magnitude of the first derivative of the parametrization. The angle between the tangential vector and the positive x-axis is denoted as phi, and this angle is used in the expression for curvature. The use of phi is specific to plane curves, which are curves that lie entirely on a single plane in three-dimensional space.
A330NEO
Why curvature of a plane curve is k = [tex] \frac{d\phi }{ds} [/tex]?

I know that curvature of a plane is [tex] \frac{\left | r'(t) \times r''(t) \right |}{\left | r'(t) \right |^3} [/tex], and that led to this.

[tex]k = \frac{\left | \frac{d^2s}{dt^2} \right |sin\phi }{\left | \frac{ds}{dt}\right |^2}[/tex]

But I can't go any further. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the definition of curvature. The expression you presented is the expression for the curvature given in terms of the derivatives of an arbitrary parametrization of a curve.

Consider a parametrization by arc length $\varphi: I \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^3$. Then

$$\left\| \frac{d \varphi}{ds} \right\| = 1 \text{ and } \left\| \frac{d^2 \varphi}{ds^2} \right\| = \kappa,$$

which is the curvature of the curve.

Fantini said:
That is the definition of curvature. The expression you presented is the expression for the curvature given in terms of the derivatives of an arbitrary parametrization of a curve.

Consider a parametrization by arc length $\varphi: I \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^3$. Then

$$\left\| \frac{d \varphi}{ds} \right\| = 1 \text{ and } \left\| \frac{d^2 \varphi}{ds^2} \right\| = \kappa,$$

which is the curvature of the curve.
uhh... I still don't get it. [tex]k=\left|\d{T}{s} \right|[/tex](if length of curve is s and T is for its tangential vector), but how does that become [tex]\left| \d{\phi}{s} \right|[/tex]? why use [tex] \phi [/tex], which is the angle between T and i(1, 0, 0)? Is there an specific characteristic of 'plane' curve that separages it from other 3-dimentional curves?

Related to Why curvature of a plane curve is k =d(phi)/ds?

1. What is the meaning of curvature in a plane curve?

The curvature of a plane curve is a measure of how much the curve deviates from being a straight line at a given point. It is the rate at which the direction of the tangent to the curve changes as we move along the curve.

2. How is curvature calculated for a plane curve?

The curvature of a plane curve can be calculated using the formula k = d(phi)/ds, where k is the curvature, d(phi) is the change in the tangent direction, and ds is the change in arc length. This can also be expressed as k = ||dT/ds||, where T is the unit tangent vector to the curve.

3. Why is the curvature of a plane curve important?

The curvature of a plane curve is important because it provides information about the shape and behavior of the curve. It can help us understand the rate of change of the curve, and is used in various applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

4. What does a high or low curvature value indicate for a plane curve?

A high curvature value indicates that the curve is sharply curved at a given point, while a low curvature value indicates a flatter curve. This can also be interpreted as a high rate of change in direction for a high curvature, and a low rate of change for a low curvature.

5. Can the curvature of a plane curve be negative?

Yes, the curvature of a plane curve can be negative. This occurs when the curve is curved in the opposite direction of the tangent vector. A negative curvature can also be interpreted as a concave curve.