Why Can't You Cancel Out the Square Root and Square in a Square Root Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute value and how it is related to the square root function. It is explained that the principal square root of a non-negative number is always positive, and that the square root function's domain is non-negative real numbers. It is also noted that there are two distinct square roots for positive numbers, the principal one and the other one, which is negative. Finally, the confusion about the use of |-4|=√(-4²) is addressed, with the conclusion that it is incorrect due to the fact that the left side equals 4 while the right side equals 4i (not 4).
temaire

Homework Statement

Can someone explain to me how [tex]|-4|= \sqrt{(-4)^{2}}[/tex]

I'm wondering why you can't cancel out the square root sign and the square above the -4, to leave you with -4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has something to do with the absolute value of -4, being 4, but I just don't completely understand why you can't cancel out the square root sign and the square.

Physics news on Phys.org
|-4| ≠ √(-4²) (because |-4| = 4 and √(-4²) = √(-1(4²)) = √(-1(16)) = √(-16) = 4i, where i = √(-1) is the imaginary number). Therefore, trying to explain how |-4| = √(-4²) is meaningless.

jhooper3581 said:
|-4| ≠ √(-4²) (because |-4| = 4 and √(-4²) = √(-1(4²)) = √(-1(16)) = √(-16) = 4i, where i = √(-1) is the imaginary number). Therefore, trying to explain how |-4| = √(-4²) is meaningless.

It's not meaningless. In R, a square root cannot be a negative number, hence the absolute value sign.

Because |-4|=|[itex]\pm[/itex]4|=4. Why it is like that?

Because √(-4)2=√16=4 but also √42=√16=4.

You need to consider both positive and negative value for 4.

Last edited:
kbaumen, I suspect that the original poster had edited his/her post. Before he/she edited his/her post, it was √(-4²), and go to this http://hotmath.com/images/gt/lessons/genericalg1/parabola_width.gif" , and it's obvious that y > 0 for any x values that is x ≠ 0), and |-4| = 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
temaire said:

Homework Statement

Can someone explain to me how [tex]|-4|= \sqrt{(-4)^{2}}[/tex]

I'm wondering why you can't cancel out the square root sign and the square above the -4, to leave you with -4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has something to do with the absolute value of -4, being 4, but I just don't completely understand why you can't cancel out the square root sign and the square.

By writing [tex]\sqrt{x} = r[/tex], it means that, r is the principal square root of x.

The principal square root of a non-negative number x is the number that satisfies the 2 following properties:
  • Firstly, it's a non-negative number, i.e r >= 0. (1)
  • And secondly, its square is x (i.e, it's one of the 2 square roots of x). (2)

For any positive real x (i.e x > 0), there are 2 distinct square roots of x:
  • The principal one: [itex]\sqrt{x} > 0[/itex]
  • And the other one: [itex]-\sqrt{x} < 0[/itex]

For x = 0, the 2 square roots becomes 1, which is: [tex]\sqrt{0} = 0[/tex]

For x < 0, there's no real square root of it. There exists complex ones, but just don't worry about it for now. :)

[tex]\sqrt{(-4) ^ 2} \neq -4[/tex] because -4 is negative, and hence cannot be the principal square root of (-4)2.

-------------------

Using the 2 properties of the principle square root above, namely (1), and (2), we derive the following formula:
[tex]\sqrt{\alpha ^ 2} = |\alpha|[/tex].

Which can be easily proven. You can give it a try, if you want. :)

jhooper3581 said:
kbaumen, I suspect that the original poster had edited his/her post. Before he/she edited his/her post, it was √(-4²), and go to this http://hotmath.com/images/gt/lessons/genericalg1/parabola_width.gif" , and it's obvious that y > 0 for any x values that is x ≠ 0), and |-4| = 4.

In that case I agree with you, but when I replied it was already [tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2}[/tex]. Perhaps I should've read your post more carefully.

njama said:
Because |-4|=[itex]\pm[/itex]4. Why it is like that?
|-4| [itex]\neq \pm 4[/itex]! The absolute value of a number has a single value that is always nonnegative!
njama said:
Because √(-4)2=√16=4 but also √42=√16=4.

You need to consider both positive and negative value for 4.
This doesn't make any sense. For real numbers, the square root function's domain is nonnegative real numbers. The number 4 does not have a negative value.

Mark44 said:
|-4| [itex]\neq \pm 4[/itex]! The absolute value of a number has a single value that is always nonnegative!

This doesn't make any sense. For real numbers, the square root function's domain is nonnegative real numbers. The number 4 does not have a negative value.

Sorry about it I meant |-4|=|[itex]\pm 4[/itex]|=4. I will fix it immediately. :eek:

jhooper3581 said:

Comment:

[tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2} \neq \sqrt{-1(4^2)}[/tex]

The left side equals 4 while the right equals 4i (not 4). [itex](-4)^2 = (-1 \cdot 4)^2 = (-1)^2(4)^2 = (1)(16) = 16.[/itex]

In general

[tex]\sqrt{x^2} = \left| x \right|[/tex] as has been mentioned.

--Elucidus

Last edited:
In addition to Elucidus's comment, there is a factoring property for the square root (and other roots) that is often misused.

If a and b are nonnegative, then [itex]\sqrt{ab}~=~\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/itex].

Elucidus said:
Comment:

[tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2} \neq \sqrt{-1(4^2)}[/tex]

The left side equals 4 while the right equals 4i (not 4). [itex](-4)^2 = (-1 \cdot 4)^2 = (-1)^2(4)^2 = (1)(16) = 16.[/itex]

In general

[tex]\sqrt{x^2} = \left| x \right|[/tex] as has been mentioned.

--Elucidus

Notice that he wrote

[tex]\sqrt{(-4^2)}[/tex]

instead of

[tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2}[/tex].

Thou shalt not misquote.

kbaumen said:
Notice that he wrote

[tex]\sqrt{(-4^2)}[/tex]

instead of

[tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2}[/tex].

Thou shalt not misquote.

Indeed, I mistook that quote. Apologies. The OP stated [tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2}[/tex] and I mistakingly thought jhooper3581 was citing that expression. He did not and I missed that.

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
Indeed, I mistook that quote. Apologies. The OP stated [tex]\sqrt{(-4)^2}[/tex] and I mistakingly thought jhooper3581 was citing that expression. He did not and I missed that.

--Elucidus

So did I at first.

So would it be correct to say that although there is a positive and a negative square root to a number, we only consider the positive one since the square root is a function and functions can only have one y value for every x value?

temaire said:
So would it be correct to say that although there is a positive and a negative square root to a number, we only consider the positive one since the square root is a function and functions can only have one y value for every x value?

No that is simply not correct. Consider y = x2. In fact, this is your problem.

Here is a illustration. I hope that after all those posts you will understand what these people are saying to you.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/42/graphofquadratic.png

njama said:
No that is simply not correct. Consider y = x2. In fact, this is your problem.

Here is a illustration. I hope that after all those posts you will understand what these people are saying to you.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/42/graphofquadratic.png
[/URL]

Actually I believe I am correct, well at least to some degree. I think that you just misunderstood me. I said that since the square root is a function, you can only have one y value for each x value, thus we only consider the principal square root. What are you trying to show with your illustration?

Ok, if your function is [itex]y=\sqrt{x}[/itex], then there is unique value for y, by choosing different [itex]x \in [0, +\infty] [/itex]. And do you know what makes the function with that property?

The function is neither odd nor even.

njama said:
Ok, if your function is [itex]y=\sqrt{x}[/itex], then there is unique value for y, by choosing different [itex]x \in [0, +\infty] [/itex]. And do you know what makes the function with that property?

The function is neither odd nor even.

Well, what do you mean? Which function are you referring to? Of course the square root function is neither odd, nor even, because its domain is R+, which is clearly not symmetric to 0. But I'm wondering if it does have anything to do here??

temaire said:

As far as my knowledge goes, this is correct. :)

Thanks VeitDao, you've been a great help.

VietDao29 said:
Well, what do you mean? Which function are you referring to? Of course the square root function is neither odd, nor even, because its domain is R+, which is clearly not symmetric to 0. But I'm wondering if it does have anything to do here??

Here is why:

temaire said:
...you can only have one y value for each x value, thus we only consider the principal square root...

Related to Why Can't You Cancel Out the Square Root and Square in a Square Root Problem?

1. What is a square root problem?

A square root problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 multiplied by 5 equals 25.

2. How do you solve a square root problem?

To solve a square root problem, you can use a calculator or perform the calculation manually. If using a calculator, simply type in the number and press the square root button. If solving manually, you can use the method of prime factorization or the long division method.

3. What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that has an exact square root, such as 25 or 100. A non-perfect square is a number that does not have an exact square root, such as 7 or 22.

4. Can you take the square root of a negative number?

No, you cannot take the square root of a negative number. This is because when you multiply a number by itself, the result is always positive. Therefore, the square root of any negative number is considered to be undefined.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving square root problems?

Solving square root problems can be useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the area of a square or finding the length of one side of a square. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to solve complex equations and make predictions.