Why Can't We Do Algebraic Methods with Tensors?

In summary: This is linked to the fact that, in general, ##abeq 0## doesn't imply that either ##a=0## or ##b=0##.In summary, the conversation discusses various problematic expressions that use the Einstein summation convention and why traditional algebraic methods may not be valid in those cases. It is important to expand the expressions and pay attention to the summation to correctly manipulate them.
cr7einstein
Hello everyone!
Even though I have done substantial tensor calculus, I still don't get one thing. Probably I am being naive or even stupid here, but consider

$$R_{\mu\nu} = 0$$.
If I expand the Ricci tensor, I get
$$g^{\sigma\rho} R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu} = 0$$.
Which, in normal algebra, should imply,
$$ g^{\sigma\rho} = 0$$ (which is meaningless) or $$R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu} = 0$$ ( which isn't always true).

So, Why can't we do normal algebra here?( it is perfectly valid step in algebra)
Also, consider a simple case
$$dS^2 = g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}$$.
Here, why can't we simply transpose(or divide both sides by) the differentials on RHS, i.e.,
$$\frac{dS^2}{dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}} = g_{\mu\nu}$$ ?
Why is this expression not valid? Or, another example, Why can't
$$R_{\mu\nu} = g^{\sigma\rho} R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu}$$ imply that
$$g^{\sigma\rho} = \frac{R_{\mu\nu}}{R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu}}$$ ??
Is there a reason why this is wrong? Or is there a different way to transpose tensors from one side of the equation to the other side? Can you do this to vacuum field equations(as an example)?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
All of these problematic expressions use the Einstein summation convention. Any time that you find yourself wondering about whether an algebraic manipulation is valid in such an expression, you can expand the expression.

For example, you ask why ##A^{\sigma}B_{\sigma\rho\mu}=0## doesn't necessarily imply that either ##A## or ##B## are zero. If you write the summation out (in two dimensions to keep things simple) you get ##A^0B_{0\rho\mu}+A^1B_{1\rho\mu}=0##, which can be true even if none of the components of A or B are zero.

Exactly what "algebraic methods" do you mean? For many algebraic structures, such as matrices, "AB= 0" does NOT imply "A= 0 or B= 0".

Hi. This is not more than #2. I assume your normal algebra means product of numbers like 2 X 3 = 6. Do you know inner product of vectors like [tex]\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}=0
[/tex]? This means vector a and vector b is orthogonal. a or b does not have to be a zero vector. For example a=(1.0) and b=(0,1) satisfy the eauation. What you referred is inner product of vector and tensor. Vector or tensor does not have to be a zero vector or tensor as well.

Last edited:
cr7einstein said:
$$g^{\sigma\rho} R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu} = 0$$.
Which, in normal algebra, should imply,
$$ g^{\sigma\rho} = 0$$ (which is meaningless) or $$R_{\sigma\mu\rho\nu} = 0$$
What you have there is of the form ##\operatorname{Tr}(AB)=0##, where A and B are square matrices. This doesn't imply that one of the matrices must be zero.

Definition of matrix multiplication: ##(AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}##.
Definition of trace: ##\operatorname{Tr}A=A_{ii}##.
$$\operatorname{Tr}(AB)=(AB)_{ii}=A_{ik}B_{ki}.$$
cr7einstein said:
$$dS^2 = g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}$$.
Here, why can't we simply transpose(or divide both sides by) the differentials on RHS, i.e.,
$$\frac{dS^2}{dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}} = g_{\mu\nu}$$ ?
Mainly because of the summation. What you're doing there is like dividing both sides of ##z=ax+by## (where all variables represent real numbers) by one of ##xx,xy,yx,yy## and (incorrectly) ending up with either ##a## or ##b## on the right-hand side.

Related to Why Can't We Do Algebraic Methods with Tensors?

1. Why are algebraic methods not suitable for tensors?

Algebraic methods are not suitable for tensors because tensors represent multidimensional arrays of data, while algebraic methods are designed for operations on single-dimensional data. Tensors have a complex structure with multiple indices, making it difficult to apply algebraic rules and equations.

2. Can we use algebraic methods for tensor operations?

No, algebraic methods are not suitable for tensor operations. Tensors require specialized mathematical operations and manipulation techniques, such as contraction, multiplication, and transposition, which cannot be directly applied using algebraic methods.

3. What are some alternative methods for working with tensors?

Some alternative methods for working with tensors include tensor calculus, differential geometry, and tensor decomposition techniques. These methods are specifically designed for operations on multidimensional data and can efficiently handle the complex structure of tensors.

4. Are there any benefits to using algebraic methods with tensors?

While algebraic methods are not suitable for direct operations on tensors, they can still be useful in some cases. For example, algebraic methods can help in simplifying tensor expressions and reducing the number of computations required for certain tensor operations.

5. Is it necessary to understand algebraic methods to work with tensors?

No, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of algebraic methods to work with tensors. However, a basic understanding of linear algebra and tensor notation can be helpful in understanding the properties and operations of tensors.