Why can't \sqrt{30-x^2} be simplified to \sqrt{30}-x?

• Thread starter 0tt0UK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding the concept of simplifying expressions involving square roots, specifically in the context of trigonometry and Pythagorean theorem. It was discussed that the square root of a squared number is equal to its absolute value, and this rule may not always apply when dealing with complex numbers. It was also mentioned that expressions involving square roots cannot be simplified further and that expanding them may reveal why.
0tt0UK
Hi all,

I am reading about trigonometry and pythagoras..

I found this (30-x2)1/2

Would it be the same as (sqrt30 - x) ??

Is there any way to simplify it?

thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You cannot simplify it any further. You cannot distribute the square root over the addition.

thx sylas that is what I thought but I wasn't sure..

so if I had to multiply that by let's say (2+x). What would happen to the square root (1/2)?

Add the exponents due to the multiplication (1 + 1/2 = 3/2)?

0tt0UK said:
so if I had to multiply that by let's say (2+x). What would happen to the square root (1/2)?

So you will have [tex](2+x)\sqrt{30-x^2}[/tex] ??
Nothing happens to the square root :-p

Oh and by the way, the rule is [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex] for a being anything, simple or complicated. Think a bit about this rule and see if you can figure out why you can't simplify the above expression.

Mentallic said:
...Think a bit about this rule and see if you can figure out why you can't simplify the above expression.

Yes I understand that, ta.

But what would be the multipication between both? That is what I don't get..

Think about this, [tex](a+b)^2=?[/tex]

Mentallic said:
Oh and by the way, the rule is [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex] for a being anything, simple or complicated.
The rule is [tex]\sqrt{a^2} = |a|[/tex], not [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex], and even that rule applies for the real numbers only.

Mentallic said:

(a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b)

lol ok I wasn't expecting that answer. Expand it!

D H said:
The rule is [tex]\sqrt{a^2} = |a|[/tex], not [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex], and even that rule applies for the real numbers only.

DH let's not get picky now, are you trying to confuse him?

0tt0UK said:
I am reading about trigonometry and pythagoras..

Oh and p.s. what I meant by complicated was that [itex]a[/itex] could be a function of anything more complicated, such as [itex]\sqrt{30}-x[/itex] for example :wink:
(not complex numbers)...

[tex] (a+b)^2[/tex] is ok but what to do when the exponent is square root ?

That is what I don't get, the expansion!

[tex]
(2+x)\sqrt{30-x^2}
[/tex]

I'm with D H that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/tex]
Consider [tex]\sqrt{(-3)^2} = \sqrt{9} = 3 = |-3|[/tex]
It might be that a slight complication in pursuit of the truth can be confusing, but telling a student a rule that is incorrect is worse than confusing.

0tt0UK said:

There's nothing you can do. (a+b)0.5 cannot be simplified further.

That is what I don't get, the expansion!

[tex]
(2+x)\sqrt{30-x^2}
[/tex]

That isn't an expansion. It's just writing (30-x2)0.5 using a square root sign instead of the exponent.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
There's nothing you can do. (a+b)0.5 cannot be simplified further.

That isn't an expansion. It's just writing (30-x2)0.5 using a square root sign instead of the exponent.

Cheers -- sylas

thx sylas.. what would you get when multiplying (30-x2)0.5 by (2+x) or any (a+b)?

An exponent, it would be ok. I cannot do it with the square root.

0tt0UK said:
thx sylas.. what would you get when multiplying (30-x2)0.5 by (2+x) or any (a+b)?

An exponent, it would be ok. I cannot do it with the square root.

You can't simply the multiplication either. The expressions you describe are:
[tex]\begin{align*}
(2+x)(30-x^2)^{0.5} \\
(a+b)(30-x^2)^{0.5}
\end{align*}
[/tex]​
Neither of those expressions can be simplified.

sylas said:
Neither of those expressions can be simplified.

ooh.. ok! thank you all for your help

Mentallic said:
the rule is [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex] for a being anything, simple or complicated. Think a bit about this rule and see if you can figure out why you can't simplify the above expression {[tex]\sqrt{30-x^2}[/tex]}
Mentallic said:
I was trying to give 0tt0UK an understanding of why this cannot be simplified to [tex]\sqrt{30}-x[/tex] !

D H said:
Mark44 said:
I'm with D H that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/tex]
Consider [tex]\sqrt{(-3)^2} = \sqrt{9} = 3 = |-3|[/tex]
It might be that a slight complication in pursuit of the truth can be confusing, but telling a student a rule that is incorrect is worse than confusing.
Seriously... have you guys not figured out yet what 0tt0UK's mathematical level is? He's learning about pythagoras' theorem for Christ sake! What is the point of saying "oh, but [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=|a|[/tex] since... wait, you don't understand why this is true? *goes off on a massive tangent to explain something that is unnecessary for 0tt0UK's case*... but really, this won't be happening in Pythagoras' theorem because side lengths in triangles are positive... not negative, and not complex".
He has no need to learn the refined rule. It's just the same reason why a teacher would never even dare to explain to their students why such a rule doesn't work for complex numbers, since they've never heard about them before, and it would drag the lesson in the wrong direction. 0tt0UK can come back to the proper rule when necessary. Not now.

0tt0UK said:
0tt0UK said:
ooh.. ok! thank you all for your help

That's not what I was trying to get at :-p
I'm trying to shed some light on why [tex]\sqrt{30-x^2}\neq \sqrt{30}-x[/tex]

Think about this, in the rule [tex]\sqrt{a^2}=a[/tex] (where a is a length... thus, positive)
what about if we substituted a=x+y ? Then we'll have [tex]\sqrt{(x+y)^2}=x+y[/tex]

But expand the [tex](x+y)^2[/tex] and see if you notice something. Now do the same for [tex](\sqrt{30}-x)^2[/tex] and see what you get.

Related to Why can't \sqrt{30-x^2} be simplified to \sqrt{30}-x?

1. What is the simplified form of (30-x^2)^1/2?

The simplified form of (30-x^2)^1/2 is √(30-x^2).

2. Can (30-x^2)^1/2 be further simplified?

No, √(30-x^2) is the simplest form of (30-x^2)^1/2 as it cannot be expressed in terms of simpler radicals.

3. Is (30-x^2)^1/2 defined for all values of x?

No, (30-x^2)^1/2 is only defined for values of x that make 30-x^2 non-negative, i.e. x ≤ √30 or x ≥ -√30.

4. How do I graph (30-x^2)^1/2?

To graph (30-x^2)^1/2, plot points for values of x that make 30-x^2 non-negative, and then connect the points with a smooth curve.

5. What is the domain and range of (30-x^2)^1/2?

The domain of (30-x^2)^1/2 is all real numbers x such that x ≤ √30 or x ≥ -√30. The range is all non-negative real numbers, i.e. y ≥ 0.