Why can't pinging excite singing overtones?

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between singing and pinging vibrations in a wineglass and the role of the finger in these vibrations. It was speculated that the different methods of excitation may result in different modes of vibration and that flexural vibrations are dispersive. The harmonic spectrum of the singing overtones was also discussed, with the suggestion that energy may be distributed across different modes of vibration.
spareine
I recorded the sound spectra of a singing wineglass (rubbed the rim with a wet finger) and a pinging wineglass (tapped anywhere at its wall) with a smartphone. Evidently the fundamental tones of both vibrations are identical, but the overtones are very different (harmonic vs. anharmonic). As the fundamental tones are identical it seems fair to assume that the singing and the pinging vibrations have a lot in common. Then why is pinging unable to excite the singing-overtones, and vice versa?

Wineglass.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'cause you have your finger on it? I am just speculating here as I am no vibrations guy...but when you are singing, not only do you have continuous excitation, but also have your finger right on the glass itself changing the system a bit one way or another (stiffness?), maybe your finger acts a bit as some kind of anchor...when you ping, you do not have your finger on the glass and vibrates "freely".

Rubbing and tapping are orthogonal (One along the rim and one right angles to it). Perhaps they don't excite the same modes?

gsal said:
'cause you have your finger on it? I am just speculating here as I am no vibrations guy...but when you are singing, not only do you have continuous excitation, but also have your finger right on the glass itself changing the system a bit one way or another (stiffness?), maybe your finger acts a bit as some kind of anchor...when you ping, you do not have your finger on the glass and vibrates "freely".
One could check the singing, just after taking off the finger.

gsal said:
"physics" behind singing glass...maybe not as technical as some of us would wish
I notice that for "singing", every harmonic is present. This seems correct for flexural vibration of a ring. It is similar to the electrical resonance of a metal ring, where the lowest frequency corresponds to one wavelength circumference. On the other hand, the striking method has only odd harmonics, so it looks as if an antinode is forced on the system, like a shorted transmission line. But the fundamental frequencies are similar in both cases, so I am thinking that the vibrations in the two cases have different modes.

gsal said:

A.T. said:
One could check the singing, just after taking off the finger.

The harmonic singing overtones persist for a second or so (the fundamental tone lasts longer), so my finger is required for the creation of the singing overtones, but not for their persistence.
Remarkably, pinging overtones grow during the first second after hitting the glass.

CWatters said:
Rubbing and tapping are orthogonal (One along the rim and one right angles to it). Perhaps they don't excite the same modes?

Then why do they excite the same fundamental tone?

tech99 said:
I notice that for "singing", every harmonic is present. This seems correct for flexural vibration of a ring. It is similar to the electrical resonance of a metal ring, where the lowest frequency corresponds to one wavelength circumference. On the other hand, the striking method has only odd harmonics, so it looks as if an antinode is forced on the system, like a shorted transmission line. But the fundamental frequencies are similar in both cases, so I am thinking that the vibrations in the two cases have different modes.

Flexural vibrations are dispersive, high frequency waves travel faster. In a straight bar the velocity is proportional to the square root of the frequency. As a result the overtones of a straight bar would be proportional to n2. The pinging overtone frequencies of the wineglass are not odd harmonics, they are approximately proportional to n2. The harmonic spectrum of the singing overtones is harder to explain.

spareine said:
Remarkably, pinging overtones grow during the first second after hitting the glass.
I guess the energy, initially stored as a certain deformation, is distributed across different modes of vibration.

In music terminology, I would say that it is a result of a different attack (much lIke different plucks elicit different tones from a guitar string vs. bowing a string). That is, the shape of the initial perturbation for a ping is one large impulse, while the driving force for a ping is constantly applied (probably a series of smaller impulse as each element of glass your finger passes over is released).

Pythagorean said:
In music terminology, I would say that it is a result of a different attack (much lIke different plucks elicit different tones from a guitar string vs. bowing a string).

You are comparing it to a string which is fixed at both ends. The different tones of a string are harmonics of the fundamental, irrespective of the attack. But flexural waves in a string are something else than flexural waves in a rod (nondispersive vs. dispersive).

Related to Why can't pinging excite singing overtones?

What is wineglass singing?

Wineglass singing is a technique where a finger is run around the rim of a wineglass to produce a musical tone. This is due to friction between the finger and the glass, causing it to vibrate and create sound waves.

What is pinging?

Pinging is a technique where a wineglass is lightly tapped with a finger or a utensil to produce a tone. This is also due to vibrations in the glass, but in this case, it is caused by the impact of the tap.

What is the difference between wineglass singing and pinging?

The main difference between wineglass singing and pinging is the method of creating sound. Wineglass singing involves continuous friction along the rim of the glass, while pinging involves a single impact. This results in different tones and timbres.

Which technique produces a clearer tone?

This is subjective and can vary depending on the individual's skill and the quality of the wineglass. Generally, wineglass singing produces a more sustained and pure tone, while pinging can produce a shorter and more percussive sound.

Can any type of wineglass be used for singing or pinging?

Yes, any type of glass with a smooth rim can be used for wineglass singing and pinging. However, some glasses may produce better results due to their shape, thickness, or quality. Experimentation is key to finding the perfect glass for these techniques.