Why can't my computer detect my disk anymore?

In summary, the person is experiencing issues with their SD card after making blind edits. The computer cannot detect the disk, but it can be seen in the device manager. The person is unsure if the disk is formatted and asks for help in checking. Suggestions are given to reset the drive, check disk management, and clean the hard drive cables. It is also recommended to have a backup of important data. It is unclear if the issue is with the SD card or another disk. The conversation ends with a comment about the thread being closed.
mech-eng
I have made some editions blindly to my SD card. Now the PC cannot perceive the disk. I cannot see the disk under my computer but can see under device manager. What's the matter? What is the reason?
related pics.png

device manager.png

Thank you.

Attachments

• related pics.png
    related pics.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,004
  • device manager.png
    device manager.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 991
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it formatted?

Khashishi said:
Is it formatted?

Since I cannot see under my computer, I don't know? How can I check it in this case?

Thank you.

Is this a new hard drive? If so, you probably need to format it. Press ctrl+esc, and then type format. Look for something called "Create and format hard drive partitions". This will destroy all the data on the drive so you probably don't want to do this if it isn't a new drive.

If it is not a new hard drive, were you able to access the hard drive in the past? If so, when did it stop appearing? Did you install something?

Since this is windows, try going into administrative tools / computer management / disk management and see what that displays. Similar to what you posted, it will show capacity (total space) and free space for all "drives".

For a new drive, disk management can also create primary partitions, extended partitions, logical drives within an extended partition, and format partitions or logical drives.

In your case, it seems the drive is corrupted. I'm wondering if SSD's have particular types of failures, such as the internal mapping, and if there is a utility to repair / recover a SSD.

Likes QuantumQuest
Try resetting to factory settings and hope you have an option to preserve your files.

Go into "Disk Manager" and see if you can see the disk there. Most probably it does not have a drive letter attached to it. Let Disk Manager assign a station letter to it, then it should be visible.

check your hard drives cables which connects with hard drive and cpu and clean its ports. You must have backup to store your important data in other external hard drive, so that you save your data and time in this critical situation.

mech-eng said:
to my SD card. Now the PC cannot perceive the disk.
Could you please clarify if your computer cannot see the SD card, or some other disk?

If it is the SD-card, then you most likely damaged the file system on the SD-card with that 'blind edit', whatever does that mean.
The device manager checks the device itself, while the 'My computer' will see only intact, accessible file systems: devices without recognized filesystem won't show up.
Hopefully you don't have anything important on that card.
Do you want to use it again, or you want to recover the data on it?

Ps.: oooops, just another case of useless necromancy...

Thanks for the good contributions everyone. Thread closed.

Related to Why can't my computer detect my disk anymore?

1. Why is my computer not detecting my disk?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a problem with the disk itself, a connection issue, or a software problem. It is important to troubleshoot to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I fix my computer not detecting my disk?

The solution depends on the cause of the issue. If it is a problem with the disk, try connecting it to a different computer or using a different cable. If it is a connection issue, make sure the disk is properly connected to the computer. If it is a software problem, try updating the drivers or running a disk repair tool.

3. Can a virus cause my computer to not detect my disk?

Yes, a virus or malware can cause issues with disk detection. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and use reputable antivirus software to prevent these issues.

4. What should I do if my computer still can't detect my disk after troubleshooting?

If troubleshooting does not solve the issue, it is possible that the disk itself is damaged. In this case, you may need to replace the disk or seek professional help to recover any important data.

5. How can I prevent my computer from losing the ability to detect disks in the future?

To prevent this issue in the future, make sure to properly eject disks from your computer, keep your computer and disks clean, and regularly scan for viruses and malware. It is also important to back up important data to prevent loss in case of disk failure.