Why can’t longitudinal waves be polarized?

In summary, longitudinal waves cannot be polarized because their particles oscillate in the same direction as their propagation. Similarly, some transverse waves cannot be polarized due to their multiple perpendicular polarization directions. However, electromagnetic waves can be polarized based on the direction of their electric field vector. It is possible to polarize gamma waves using advanced methods, but the technology is not currently available. As for stress waves, it is unclear if they can be polarized and more research is needed on the topic.
madmike159
Gold Member
Why can’t longitudinal waves be polarized? I’m guessing its something to do with the particles oscillating in the same direction of propagation, but I can’t think of a explanation of why they can’t be polarized.
I have also been told that some transverse waves can’t be polarized. X-rays can but gamma can’t with current technology, is this because of the higher energy of gamma photons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
longitudinal waves are "polarized" in the direction of propagation. transverse waves are polarized perpindicular to the propagation direction, since there is more than one direction perp to the propagation direction there can be more than one transverse polarization and we can filter for either x, or y polarization... but that's not true for longitudinal.

For electromagnetic radiation, 'polarization' refers to the direction of the electric field vector. Some EM waves do not have a well-defined polarization (optical vortices, near-field) for this reason. I suppose gamma waves could be polarized by grazing incidence methods, but I don't know enough about the technology.

Not sure about stress (longitudinal) waves. I suppose one could define a polarization direction if they are sufficiently well-behaved, but I'm not that familiar with the topic.

Related to Why can’t longitudinal waves be polarized?

1. Why can't longitudinal waves be polarized?

Longitudinal waves cannot be polarized because they do not exhibit transverse motion. Polarization occurs when a wave's electric and magnetic fields are restricted to a specific direction, which is not possible for longitudinal waves.

2. Can any type of longitudinal wave be polarized?

No, all longitudinal waves, including sound waves and seismic waves, cannot be polarized due to their nature of propagation.

3. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves in terms of polarization?

The main difference between longitudinal and transverse waves in terms of polarization is their direction of oscillation. Transverse waves have oscillations perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, allowing for polarization, while longitudinal waves have oscillations parallel to the direction of propagation, making polarization impossible.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that longitudinal waves cannot be polarized?

There are a few rare cases where longitudinal waves can exhibit some form of polarization. For example, electromagnetic waves in a plasma can exhibit longitudinal polarization due to the interaction between the plasma particles and the electric field of the wave.

5. Why is polarization important in wave phenomena?

Polarization is important in wave phenomena because it allows for the manipulation and control of wave properties, such as the direction of propagation and the intensity of the wave. This is useful in various applications, such as communication systems and medical imaging techniques.