Why can't I use contour integration for this integral?

In summary, WolframAlpha.com says that the integral ##\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{-|x|}}{1+x^2}dx ## is approximately 1.24, while the primitive numerical integration with excel gives about 1.15.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider the integral ##\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{-|x|}}{1+x^2}dx ##. I should be able to use contour integration to solve it because it vanishes faster than ## \frac 1 x ## in the limit ## x \to \infty ## in the upper half plane. It has two poles at i and -i. If I use a semicircle in the upper half of the plane, I should only consider the residue at i which is:

## \displaystyle \lim_{z\to i} \frac{e^{-|z|}}{i+z}=\frac{e^{-|i|}}{2i}=\frac{1}{2ie} ##

So the integral is equal to ## \frac{2\pi i}{2ie}=\frac \pi e \approx 1.15 ##. But wolframalpha.com gives an expression involving Ci(x) and Si(x) that approximates to 1.24. What is wrong here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me Wolfram is doing some numerical integration. When I do a primitive numerical integration with excel I get about the same answers they do.
Your answer is correct

(How did you get this Ci and Si answer from wolfie ?)

I don't know off the bat how to derive the right answer, but contour integration by using residues only works for analytic functions, and the use of an absolute value, [itex]|x|[/itex], makes your integrand non-analytic.

Likes ShayanJ
BvU said:
Looks to me Wolfram is doing some numerical integration. When I do a primitive numerical integration with excel I get about the same answers they do.
Your answer is correct

(How did you get this Ci and Si answer from wolfie ?)

That link is for the integrand [itex]\dfrac{e^{itz}}{1+z^2}[/itex], not [itex]\dfrac{e^{-|z|}}{1+z^2}[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
I don't know off the bat how to derive the right answer, but contour integration by using residues only works for analytic functions, and the use of an absolute value, [itex]|x|[/itex], makes your integrand non-analytic.
Yeah, I missed that completely. o:) o:) o:) though to be smart and use ##t=i##

(For the numerics looked at ##[0,\infty>##)

Changed your avatar, didn't you ? Less colorful but more cultural !

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ and BvU

Related to Why can't I use contour integration for this integral?

1. Why can't I use contour integration for this integral?

Contour integration is a technique used to evaluate integrals along a closed curve in the complex plane. It requires the function to be analytic within the contour. If the function is not analytic, then contour integration cannot be used.

2. Can I use contour integration for any type of integral?

No, contour integration can only be used for integrals of analytic functions. It is not applicable for integrals of non-analytic functions or functions with branch points.

3. How do I know if a function is analytic?

A function is analytic if it is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no sharp turns or corners. It also means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point.

4. What are some common examples of functions that cannot be evaluated using contour integration?

Functions with branch points, such as logarithmic and square root functions, cannot be evaluated using contour integration. Functions with poles, such as rational functions, also cannot be evaluated using this technique.

5. Can I use contour integration for real-valued integrals?

Contour integration is typically used for complex-valued integrals. However, it can also be used for real-valued integrals by considering the real part of the complex function. In some cases, using contour integration for real-valued integrals can make the evaluation easier.