Why can't I see the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the double slit experiment and how complementary and uncertainty relations are related. The text demonstrates that the position of the plate P, where the slits are located, can only be known within a certain uncertainty. This uncertainty is greater than the expected fringe separation on the screen. This means that if the position of P is allowed to fluctuate, the interference pattern will be smeared and impossible to observe. The conversation ends with the understanding that the plate P is affected by the photons and can be knocked about, causing the uncertainty in its position.
eoghan
I'm reading the double slit experiment (Cohen-Tannoudji chapter 1 - complement D) and it is said:
"We are going to consider Young's double slit experiment again to demonstrate how complementary and uncertainty relations are intimately related. Assume that the plate P, in which the slits are pierced, is mounted so that it can move vertically in the same plane. Consider a photon, its momentum changes when it crosses P. Conservation of momentum implies that the plate P absorbs the difference, but the momentum thus transferred to P depends on the path of the photon." Then the text demonstrates that the position of P is only known to within [tex]\Delta x>\frac{\lambda d}{a}[/tex] where a is the separation of the slits and d is the distance between P and the screen where the photon strikes.
Then the text says: "But [tex]\frac{\lambda d}{a}[/tex] is precisely the fringe separation we expect to find on the screen. If the vertical position of the slits is defined only to within an uncertainty greater than the fringe separation, it is impossible to observe the interference pattern."
I don't understand why I can't see the interference pattern... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the fringe separation on the interference pattern would be 'd' if the experiment was performed while P is at a constant position, then those fringes would be smeared into one another if P were allowed to have random fluctuations of size 'd'.

I don't have that book so I haven't seen the diagram, but I'm assuming they are talking about the fact that if P is loose, then it will be randomly knocked about by the photons?

Torquil

Oh... it was so simple :smile:
Thank you!

Related to Why can't I see the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that explores the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits onto a screen and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

The experiment works by sending a beam of light through two narrow slits, which act as sources of waves. The waves from each slit interact with each other and create an interference pattern on the screen, where the light waves either amplify or cancel each other out.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, which means that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. This challenged our understanding of light and paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the double slit experiment be done with other particles?

Yes, the double slit experiment has been done with other particles such as electrons, protons, and even large molecules. The results showed that these particles also exhibit wave-like behavior, further supporting the concept of wave-particle duality.

5. How does the double slit experiment relate to everyday life?

The double slit experiment has implications in various fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and even biology. It has helped us understand the fundamental nature of light and matter, and has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of electron microscopes and quantum computers.