Why Can't I Derive r/R as √3 - 1 in This Chemistry Problem?

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the person is struggling with a math problem involving two variables and simplification. They have the answer but cannot understand how to solve for r/R. They have simplified the expression to 2R^2=2Rr+r^2 but cannot figure out the next steps. They are seeking help to understand the solution.
Puchinita5
simple math i can't figure out!

so I'm trying to do this chemistry problem...i have the answer, but for some reason i can't do the math myself... I've taken calculus but for some reason i just can't get this!

i have from my answer sheet:

(2 R)^2 + (2√2 R)^2 = (2 r + 2 R)^2

therefore
(√3 -1) R = r

r/R = √3 -1 = 0.73

---------------------------------------------

i cannot seem to figure out how to get to r/R ?

when i do the math, i get

4R^2 +8R^2= 4R^2+ 4Rr+ 4Rr+4r^2

which i simplify to

8R^2=8Rr+4r^2

then to 2R^2= 2Rr+r^2

then what?? where on Earth does √3 -1 come from?

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
two variables, simple math that i cannot solve!

Homework Statement

I have been able to figure out this problem until I had to do some math simplification. I have the answer in front of me but i cannot seem to understand how they got to the answer that they did.

(2 R)^2 + (2R√2)^2= (2r + 2R)^2

therefore
(√3 -1) R = r

r/R = √3 -1 = 0.73

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how the heck they solved for r/R to get √3 -1 = 0.73

the furthest i can simplify the expression is down to 2R^2=2Rr+r^2

what other steps do i need to do?! I'm desperate to figure this silly problem out!

If you divide that by R^2, you get

(r/R)^2 + 2 (r/R) - 2 = 0

which is a quadratic equation for r/R with two solutions, √3 -1 and -√3 -1.

If r and R are both positive, the second solution is unphysical.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to multiply everything out and combine terms. The variable r appears in only one place in your original equation, and if that pesky 2 in the exponent wasn't there on the RHS, you could easily solve for it. To get rid of the square, you want to take the square root of both sides. So what you want to do is simplify only the left side and then take the square root of both sides of the equation.

Please don't double-post your problems!
Puchinita5 said:

Homework Statement

I have been able to figure out this problem until I had to do some math simplification. I have the answer in front of me but i cannot seem to understand how they got to the answer that they did.

(2 R)^2 + (2R√2)^2= (2r + 2R)^2

therefore
(√3 -1) R = r

r/R = √3 -1 = 0.73

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how the heck they solved for r/R to get √3 -1 = 0.73

the furthest i can simplify the expression is down to 2R^2=2Rr+r^2

what other steps do i need to do?! I'm desperate to figure this silly problem out!

(two threads merged)

Related to Why Can't I Derive r/R as √3 - 1 in This Chemistry Problem?

1. Why do I always struggle with simple math problems?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone may struggle with simple math problems. It could be due to a lack of practice or understanding of basic math concepts. It could also be related to a learning disability or a lack of confidence in math. It's important to identify the root cause and address it accordingly.

2. What can I do to improve my math skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the better you will become at solving math problems. You can also try different learning techniques, such as using visual aids or mnemonic devices to help you remember formulas or concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

3. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Math anxiety is a common issue, but there are ways to overcome it. Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Take deep breaths and stay calm. Remind yourself that you are capable of solving the problem. It also helps to have a positive attitude and not be afraid to make mistakes.

4. What are some common mistakes people make in simple math?

One of the most common mistakes is not paying attention to the order of operations. Many people also struggle with basic arithmetic, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It's also easy to make mistakes when working with negative numbers or decimals. It's important to double-check your work and take your time to avoid making simple mistakes.

5. How can I use simple math in everyday life?

Simple math skills are essential for everyday tasks like budgeting, cooking, and shopping. You can use basic math to calculate discounts, tips, and taxes. It also helps with time management and planning, such as estimating travel time or calculating how much time it takes to complete a task. Math is all around us, and having strong math skills can make daily life easier and more efficient.