Why can't I accurately detect a high fever with my own hand?

• Thread starter a1densmom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, it is difficult to accurately determine if you have a high fever using your own hand because your hand and head are both sensitive to heat and touch, causing mixed signals. Additionally, the method of comparing skin temperatures can be complicated due to air cooling the hand to a lower temperature. Experienced individuals may be able to better determine if someone has a fever using this method, but it is not always reliable.
a1densmom
I need to know WHY you can't tell if you have a high fever with your own hand...

I am thinking that it is because your body temp. is all equal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the answer I would expect, yes. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer.

because both your head and hand are sensitive to heat and touch and the signals would just get mixed up. If you touch someone elses head the only signal going to your brain is from your hand.

Yes, that's right. When you put your hand on someone's forehead, you are comparing their skin temperature to yours. If it's your hot hand on your own hot forehead it's tough to tell.

The method is a little complicated in any case because air cools your hand to a low temperature due to its large surface area (large relative to the hand's volume). For the record, normal forehead temp is about 35.4C (95.7F), hand around 33.3C (91.9F). As a result, even non-febrile foreheads feel warm to hands and young parents panic until they take their child's temp with a thermometer and see it's normal. Experience helps here. Some people use their lips, but they're about the same temp as hands so that's not much help. Doesn't work on your own forehead either...:smile:

Related to Why can't I accurately detect a high fever with my own hand?

1. How reliable is using your hand to detect fever?

Using your hand to detect fever can be reliable, but it is not the most accurate method. It is important to use a thermometer for an accurate reading of body temperature.

2. What should I look for when using my hand to detect fever?

When using your hand to detect fever, you should look for an increase in body temperature, warmth or heat radiating from the skin, and any signs of sweating or chills.

3. Can using my hand to detect fever work for everyone?

Using your hand to detect fever is not suitable for everyone. Children, older adults, and those with certain medical conditions may have different body temperatures that can make this method less effective.

4. What is the best way to use my hand to detect fever?

The best way to use your hand to detect fever is to gently touch the forehead, cheeks, and neck to feel for any signs of warmth or increased temperature. It is also important to compare with a thermometer reading for accuracy.

5. Are there any risks associated with using my hand to detect fever?

Using your hand to detect fever does not pose any major risks. However, it is important to wash your hands before and after touching someone to avoid the spread of germs or infections.