Why Can We Use This Mathematical Formula for Mean Value of Measurement?

In summary, for the mean value of measurement in quantum mechanics, we use the expectation value of a self-adjoint operator representing the measurable quantity and the wave-function expressed in the basis of eigenstates of that operator. This is related to the Born rule and is based on two fundamental postulates of quantum theory. It is also similar to the classical statistical physics concept of mean value.
ofirg55
TL;DR Summary
mean value of measurement
Hi,
I'm new to the quantum world, and would like to know why mathematically can we say that for mean value of measurment:
<T>=<phi|T|phi>
?

Physics news on Phys.org
ofirg55 said:
Summary:: mean value of measurment

Hi,
I'm new to the quantum world, and would like to know why mathematically can we say that for mean value of measurment:
<T>=<phi|T|phi>
?
That's quite close to an axiom of QM. It's related to the Born rule that identifies the probability of measurement outcomes with the operator representing the measureable and the wave-function expressed in the basis of eigenstates of that operator.

Does what I've written make sense to you?

Likes atyy and vanhees71
It rests on two fundamental postulates of quantum theory.

To describe a physical system within quantum theory you have a Hilbert space.

(1) An observable ##T## of the system are described by self-adjoint operators ##\hat{T}##. The possible results of measuring accurately the observables are the eigenvalues of that operator. The eigenvectors span a complete set of orthornormal vectors.

(2) A pure state of a system is described by a vector ##|\psi \rangle## with ##\langle \psi|\psi \rangle## (modulo a phase factor). If ##t## is an eigenvalue of ##T## and ##|t,\lambda \rangle## an orthonormal set of eigenvectors for this eigenvector, then
$$P(t) =\sum_{\lambda} |\langle t,\lambda|\psi \rangle|^2$$
is the probability to obtain ##t## when measuring ##T##.

Form this it follows that the expectation value for the outcome of measurements of ##T## given that the system is prepared in the pure state described by ##|\psi \rangle## must be
$$\langle T \rangle = \sum_t t P(t)=\sum_{t,\lambda} t \langle \psi | t,\lambda \rangle \langle t,\lambda|\psi \rangle=\sum_{t,\lambda} \langle \psi|\hat{T}|t,\lambda \rangle \langle t,\lambda \psi = \langle \psi |\hat{T}|\psi \rangle,$$
where in the last step I used the completeness of the eigenstates of ##\hat{T}##,
$$\sum_{\lambda,t} |\lambda, t \rangle |\langle \lambda,t |=\hat{1}.$$

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, ofirg55, atyy and 1 other person
PeroK said:
That's quite close to an axiom of QM. It's related to the Born rule that identifies the probability of measurement outcomes with the operator representing the measureable and the wave-function expressed in the basis of eigenstates of that operator.

@ofirg55:
Not sure what you mean by "T". I assume "phi" is the more usual "psi".
So let me paraphrase what I think you're saying: Given a (1-dimensional) wave function ## \psi (x) ## we state that the probability of a measured particle's position is ## \psi (x) \cdot \psi^* (x) ## normalized to unity, and yes that is practically a QM postulate. I say "practically" because it can really be derived from a different postulate, but that is a fine point for introductory QM. In other words, for introductory QM you can consider it a postulate but for advanced QM it's derivable from a more general postulate involving any combination of position, momentum and/or energy measurements.

Likes ofirg55
ofirg55 said:
Summary:: mean value of measurement

Hi,
<T>=<phi|T|phi>
?
Are you also new to the classical statistical physics world? Do you know why in the classical world the mean value is ##\langle T(x,p)\rangle=\int dxdp\, T(x,p)f(x,p)##? If not, then probably neither of the answers above will make sense to you.

PeroK said:

yes, thank you!

thank you all!

Related to Why Can We Use This Mathematical Formula for Mean Value of Measurement?

What is the mean value of measurement?

The mean value of measurement is the average of a set of numerical data. It is calculated by adding all the values in the data set and then dividing by the total number of values.

Why is the mean value of measurement important?

The mean value of measurement is important because it gives us a single value that represents the central tendency of a data set. It helps us understand the overall trend or pattern of the data and can be used for comparison and analysis.

How is the mean value of measurement different from the median and mode?

The mean value of measurement is different from the median and mode because it takes into account all the values in a data set, while the median only considers the middle value and the mode only considers the most frequently occurring value.

What factors can affect the mean value of measurement?

The mean value of measurement can be affected by outliers or extreme values in the data, as well as the sample size and the distribution of the data. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the mean value.

How is the mean value of measurement used in scientific research?

The mean value of measurement is commonly used in scientific research to summarize and analyze data. It can be used to compare different groups or conditions, track changes over time, and make predictions about future measurements.