Why can "dx" in integration be multiplied?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the symbol "dx" in integration and its relation to definite integrals. The person asking the questions is confused about what "dx" represents and how it is used in integration. The expert explains that "dx" is just a notation indicating which variable is being integrated with respect to, and that it is crucial in certain equations. They also clarify that "dx" is not to be multiplied by any number and its use may vary in different representations of integration.
Kelly333
Hi,
This is an example in "Barron AP calculus"
Snapshot.jpg

I learned from some past threads that "dx" in integration either means △x which is a infinite number or indicates the variable with respect to which you're integrating.
In the equation above, it seems that dx is multiplied by (1-3x)^2. Isn't dx just a notation?

I haven't learned definate integrals so far so please explain in detail if your answer is related to that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kelly333 said:
△x which is a infinite number
I don't understand what you mean here by infinite number. It is an infinitesimally small change in x. If you refer definite integration expressed as a limit of sum, you'll see that dx is actually the infinitesimal width of the rectangular strip(area element) and y is the height of of the strip. Hence, it's area becomes y*dx and when you sum the areas of all such strips having width dx and height y over an interval, you get the total area under the curve. This sum is nothing but integration of y w.r.t x in that interval i.e.∫y⋅dx.

In this problem, "dx" is simply a symbol telling us which variable this is to be integrated with respect to. It never "means [itex]\Delta x[/itex] which is a infinite number"- I don't know where you got that! But it is not "multiplied by (1- 3x)^2". The notation here is just asking you to integrate the function [itex]2(1- 3x)^2[/itex] with respect to x.

HallsofIvy said:
In this problem, "dx" is simply a symbol telling us which variable this is to be integrated with respect to. It never "means [itex]\Delta x[/itex] which is a infinite number"- I don't know where you got that! But it is not "multiplied by (1- 3x)^2". The notation here is just asking you to integrate the function [itex]2(1- 3x)^2[/itex] with respect to x.
Thanks for your answer! If dx is just a symbol telling us which variable this is to be integrated with respect to, what does (-3*dx) actually means?

cnh1995 said:
I don't understand what you mean here by infinite number. It is an infinitesimally small change in x. If you refer definite integration expressed as a limit of sum, you'll see that dx is actually the infinitesimal width of the rectangular strip(area element) and y is the height of of the strip. Hence, it's area becomes y*dx and when you sum the areas of all such strips having width dx and height y over an interval, you get the total area under the curve. This sum is nothing but integration of y w.r.t x in that interval i.e.∫y⋅dx.
Thanks for correcting that error! But in antidifferentiation, does dx also mean delta x?

Kelly333 said:
Thanks for correcting that error! But in antidifferentiation, does dx also mean delta x?

No. Typically, we use the notation ##\Delta x## when writing finite sums such as ##\sum_{i=1}^n f(x_i) \Delta x_i##, and ##dx## in the limit as we take ##n \to \infty## and each ##\Delta x_i \to 0##. Of course, "##dx##" is just notation; it is not really "zero".

Now let's look in more detail at your little example. First, do you agree that initially we want to integrate ##(1-3x)^2## with respect to ##x##? We can indicate this fact by introducing the ##dx## notation, but that is not really necessary. In some computer-algebra systems we drop the ##dx## altogether; for example, in Maple we can write "int((1-3*x)^2,x)" to indicate the integrand (before the ",") and the integration variable (after the ","). In Wolfram Alpha you can just enter "integrate (1-3*x)^2 with respect to x".

Anyway, we want to change variables to ##y = 3x##, so the integrand involves the simpler-looking expression ##(1-y^2)##. However, if we write ##I_1 = \text{x-integral}\; (1-3x)^2## and ##I_2 = \text{y-integral}\; (1-y)^2##, we DO NOT have ##I_1 = I_2##; in fact, we have ##I_1 = \frac{1}{3} I_2##. Understanding this last equality is where the ##dx, dy## notation becomes helpful: if ##y = 3 x## then ##dy = 3 dx## and so ##dx = \frac{1}{3} dy##. Now when we erase the ##dx## and ##dy## we are still left with the factor 1/3.

No, ##\Delta x## is not ##d\,x##.

Ray Vickson said:
No. Typically, we use the notation ##\Delta x## when writing finite sums such as ##\sum_{i=1}^n f(x_i) \Delta x_i##, and ##dx## in the limit as we take ##n \to \infty## and each ##\Delta x_i \to 0##. Of course, "##dx##" is just notation; it is not really "zero".

Now let's look in more detail at your little example. First, do you agree that initially we want to integrate ##(1-3x)^2## with respect to ##x##? We can indicate this fact by introducing the ##dx## notation, but that is not really necessary. In some computer-algebra systems we drop the ##dx## altogether; for example, in Maple we can write "int((1-3*x)^2,x)" to indicate the integrand (before the ",") and the integration variable (after the ","). In Wolfram Alpha you can just enter "integrate (1-3*x)^2 with respect to x".

Anyway, we want to change variables to ##y = 3x##, so the integrand involves the simpler-looking expression ##(1-y^2)##. However, if we write ##I_1 = \text{x-integral}\; (1-3x)^2## and ##I_2 = \text{y-integral}\; (1-y)^2##, we DO NOT have ##I_1 = I_2##; in fact, we have ##I_1 = \frac{1}{3} I_2##. Understanding this last equality is where the ##dx, dy## notation becomes helpful: if ##y = 3 x## then ##dy = 3 dx## and so ##dx = \frac{1}{3} dy##. Now when we erase the ##dx## and ##dy## we are still left with the factor 1/3.
Thanks!Your points are clear and easy to understand. Now I grasp the idea that dx is just a symbol but is also crucial in some equations.
But I don't believe it makes sense to multiply dx by (-3) in this equation in my example. Can you explain that?

Kelly333 said:
Thanks for your answer! If dx is just a symbol telling us which variable this is to be integrated with respect to, what does (-3*dx) actually means?
By itself it doesn't mean anything! With an [itex]\int[/itex], [itex]\int -3dx[/itex] it would mean "integrate -3 x". Or, it could be a "differential". "dy= -3 dx" means that however x increases, y will decrease by three times that much. You should never see something like "f(x)dx" by itself. It should either be inside an integral, as [itex]\int f(x) dx[/itex], or in connection with some other differential, as [itex]dy= f(x)dx[/itex].

Kelly333 said:
Thanks!Your points are clear and easy to understand. Now I grasp the idea that dx is just a symbol but is also crucial in some equations.
But I don't believe it makes sense to multiply dx by (-3) in this equation in my example. Can you explain that?

If you change variables to ##y = 3x## you get ## \frac{1}{3} \int (1-y)^2 \; dy##, but if you change to ##y = -3x## you get ##-\frac{1}{3} \int (1+y)^2 \, dy##.

You say " I don't believe it makes sense to multiply dx by (-3) in this equation in my example". Belief has nothing to do with it; there are standard change-of-variable formulas for integration, and they give you the 1/3 or -1/3 factor. What I mean is this: if we want to evaluate
[tex] I = \text{x-integral} \; f(x) [/tex]
we may find it easier to change variables from ##x## to ##y##, where ##x = g(y)##, so that in the integral we will have ##h(y) = f(g(y))## instead of ##f(x)##. However, that is not the end of the story: we also need to "transform the ##dx##", giving
[tex] I = \text{y-integral} \; h(y) g'(y) [/tex]
This is a provable theorem, not something subject to belief or dis-belief.

Last edited:

Related to Why can "dx" in integration be multiplied?

1. Why is "dx" multiplied in integration?

The "dx" in integration represents an infinitely small change in the independent variable, and multiplying it allows us to calculate the area under a curve by summing up these small changes. It is a fundamental part of the integration process that allows us to find the antiderivative of a function.

2. Can "dx" be moved or cancelled in integration?

No, "dx" cannot be moved or cancelled in integration. It is an integral part of the integration process and cannot be separated from the function being integrated. Any manipulation of the "dx" term would result in an incorrect solution.

3. Why is "dx" written at the end of an integral?

The "dx" is written at the end of an integral to indicate the variable with respect to which the function is being integrated. It helps to clarify which variable is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable in the integral.

4. Can "dx" be replaced with another letter in integration?

Yes, "dx" can be replaced with any other letter in integration, such as "dy" or "dt". This is often done to indicate different variables being used in multiple integrals or to clarify the variables involved in the integration.

5. How does "dx" affect the units in integration?

The "dx" term does not affect the units in integration. It is simply a notation used to indicate that the function is being integrated with respect to a specific variable. The units of the integral will depend on the units of the function being integrated.