Are High-Profile Husband Suspects a Trend in Recent Murder Cases?

• Thread starter ilovetrials
  • Start date
In summary, there are currently two high-profile murder investigations for Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking, both involving their husbands as primary suspects. Both husbands also have a history of lying to their spouses. With so much going on with both trials, including new evidence in the Peterson case and a landfill search for Hacking's body, a discussion group was started to discuss opinions. Additionally, Court TV will be providing nightly updates on both cases. The conversation also brings up the issue of media influence on behavior, using examples of a song by Guns & Roses and a South Park episode. The conversation ends with a discussion on the prevalence of wife-killing in today's society. However, the media's focus on two specific cases does not necessarily mean that it
ilovetrials
Has anyone noticed the strong similarities between the two current murder investigations for Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking? For one, both cases involve the husband as investigator’s primary suspects. Both Scott Peterson and Mark Hacking also have a history of lying to their spouses…with Scott admitting an affair with another woman (Amber Frey) and Mark having lied about his career and schooling for years.

With so much currently going on with both trials, (such as the judge in the Peterson case putting the trial on hold because of new found evidence, and the investigators in the Hacking murder digging a landfill each day looking for the body of Lori Hacking) I thought to start a discussion group here and see what everyone’s opinions are.

I also wanted to mentioned that Court TV just announced that Nancy Grace (I love this lady) will be keeping us updated on both trials through a live nightly broadcasts next week, at 8pm each night (Monday – Thursday). For those following either or both cases, this helps us stay one day ahead of what get printed in the newspapers. Perhaps we can use the topics she brings up as sources of discussion here as well.

Susie

Physics news on Phys.org
good point, but i hear a lot more about parents murdering their children too...

Kerrie said:

True, but that has a lower market value right now.

PS : I can't stand Nancy Grace...will someone please teach her to be civil ?

Kerrie said:

There was a good South Park episode loosy based on this. Damn you Mongolians. I pour hot sweet and sour on you. :-p

During my recent trip to the wilds of SE PA I was froced to listen to the radio. One of the songs being played by a Phily radio station went something like this:

I loved her so much that I had to kill her
I knew I would miss her so I kept her near and buried her in the backyard.
I had to kill her cause she was such a B****.

That of course is just an approximation. I never heard the artist?. Is this song is a sign of the times?

Edit: Google is your friend!

GUNS & ROSES!

Last edited:
>That of course is just an approximation. I never heard the artist?. Is this song is a sign of the times?

A sign and a cause both. They would have us believe that denigrating "sitcoms", movies and other media are only entertaining and do not affect behavior. What rubbish! If their claim was correct then advertising is a waste of money. I am old enough to remember when entertainment was different. Our world was different too. School children bloodied noses, they didn't shoot each other. We didn't lock our doors either.

Integral said:
During my recent trip to the wilds of SE PA I was froced to listen to the radio. One of the songs being played by a Phily radio station went something like this:

That of course is just an approximation. I never heard the artist?. Is this song is a sign of the times?

GUNS & ROSES!
Reminds me of a Yanomamo suggesting that when a man beats his woman it is a sign he cares, for if he cared nothing about the woman there would be no need for him to waste his time and energy correcting her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

let's pack the kids and crank up the car now
i bet that there's nothing like it in moscow
it's wild wild ride where i met my bride
i want to go on again if we've got enough money
that's where I'm going to murder my honey

godzilla will be there to meet you
so be friendly 'cause he just might eat you
murder she wrote on the row row boat
i'm going to push her right down keep my head above the water
she won't come back from monster island

i see them floating down the hall
ghosts and goblins nine feet tall
the trap door opens and she falls
ooh aah...

monster island monster island
for a dollar twenty five you can murder your wife
and have enough left over for a bag of cotton candy
a shovel could come in handy

there's a jungle where the coconut tress grow
and now the lady's crying "dear, please let me go!"
i've known her for fifteen years
but now she's lying in a pool of blood
monster island's got a new mound of mud

--- The Dickies

BoulderHead said:
Reminds me of a Yanomamo suggesting that when a man beats his woman it is a sign he cares, for if he cared nothing about the woman there would be no need for him to waste his time and energy correcting her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in some parts of the middle east, some men prescribe to that same philosophy.

wife killing is not a new thing, just the latest focus of public scrutiny.

Zantra said:
wife killing is not a new thing, just the latest focus of public scrutiny.
But how times have changed.

When I was about 5 (~1955) a good friend of my dads shot and killed his wife. He went on trial, and ended up spending a few years (Months? I don't recall for sure, it wasn't all that long!) in the State Mental Hospital. Seems that testimony that she was a nag was sufficient to prove no criminality in shooting her! I think in this era he would have spent the rest of his life in prison.

There are 2 people in the news who've murdered there wives.

So what?

There are tens of thousands of murders anually in the USA alone, I don't see how 2 cases that are getting a lot of media attention means that suddenly wives are being killed more often than usual. Perhaps there is a higher rate of husbands killing their wives, but the fact that the media is focusing on it doesn't mean that there is. If the media were a guide to what's really going on in the world, one would be led to believe that Sudan had just started getting bad a few weeks ago, and that there isn't anything particularly atrocious going on anywhere in East Asia or South/Central America at the current point in time.

Last edited:
perhaps its not so much about murder of wifes, but more about stupidity spreading, at an ever increasing rate..it could also be the (stupid) men here are just too busy to get a simple divorce.

Anyone who thinks that media representation is even close to proportional to reality is a fool at best, and probably a lot worse. THe news media is about ratings and money, not abou making people informed. They go for sensationalism. A ouple years ago fatal shark attacks were ll over the news. I hear my mother commnt one day, "if we were near the beach i sure wouldn't let you kids go in the water". Incidentally there were fewer fatal attacks that year than the year before(yes, she's a fool, at best). Media representation is not something that should be trusted as representative fo anything except the individual case under discussion.

Integral said:

GUNS & ROSES!

Yeah, I love that song! The song "Used to love her" is just supposed to be a joke song loosely based on "Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones.

Related to Are High-Profile Husband Suspects a Trend in Recent Murder Cases?

1. Why do husbands murder their wives?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as each case is unique and complex. However, common factors that contribute to spousal homicide include domestic violence, lack of conflict resolution skills, substance abuse, mental illness, and financial stress.

2. What are the warning signs of a potentially violent husband?

Warning signs may include possessive and controlling behavior, displays of jealousy and anger, threats of harm or violence, and a history of violence or abuse. It is important for individuals to trust their instincts and seek help if they feel unsafe in their relationship.

3. Are there any risk factors that make a wife more vulnerable to being murdered by her husband?

Yes, there are several risk factors that can increase a wife's vulnerability to being murdered by her husband. These include a history of domestic violence, separation or divorce, pregnancy, and access to firearms.

4. What can be done to prevent spousal homicide?

Preventing spousal homicide requires a multi-faceted approach that includes addressing underlying issues such as domestic violence, mental health, and substance abuse. It is also important for individuals to recognize warning signs and seek help, and for society to promote gender equality and healthy relationship dynamics.

5. What role do societal attitudes and beliefs play in spousal murder?

Societal attitudes and beliefs can contribute to spousal murder by perpetuating harmful gender stereotypes and normalizing violence against women. These attitudes can also discourage victims from seeking help and support, and can make it difficult for them to leave an abusive relationship. It is crucial for society to recognize and challenge these harmful attitudes in order to prevent spousal homicide.