Why are these 2 expressions equal?

• Thread starter guysensei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Riemann sums and how they are used to approximate the area under a curve. The participants also discuss the equality between an integral and a summation, with one participant providing a reference that supports the exactness of this equality. They also mention the gamma function and non-integer factorials.
guysensei1
Why is this true (at least, according to my calculator)? Is there something obvious that I've missed?
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x^x}dx=\sum_{x=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{x^x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "equal, at least according to my calculator"? Does your calculator do such integrations and infinite sums exactly (a remarkable calculator but computer algebraic system can be remarkable!) or are you doing an approximation taking very large x but not to infinity? Certainly the two will be approximately the same since the sum on the right is a Riemann sum approximation to the integral on the left.

My graphing calculator managed to calculate the integral to 10 decimal places, and I calculated the summation to x=20 using the graphing calculator as well (to 10 DP). And they're the same.

I recently just learned Riemann sums in school and I don't fully understand why the 2 are equal (approximately?). Could you explain a little?

The whole point of Riemann sums is that they are used to show that the integral gives "area under a curve". If we have the curve y= f(x) such that y> 0 for a< x< b, we can divide the area into many thin rectangles, with width [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and height [itex]f(x^*)[/itex] where [itex]x^*[/itex] is a point on the x-axis inside that rectangle. The area of each rectangle is, of course, [itex]f(x^*)\Delta x[/itex] so the entire area is approximated by [itex]\sum f(x^*)\Delta x[/itex], the sum of the areas of all the rectangles. Taking the limit, taking more and more rectangles with [itex]\Delta x[/itex] smaller and smaller, we get, by definition, the "Riemann integral", [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex].

So for large n, [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex] is approximated by the sum [itex]\sum_{i= 0}^n f(x_n^*)\Delta x[/itex].

Either I am missing something or HallsofIvy is on the wrong track. The limits of the integral and the limits of the sum are dissimilar. There is no immediately obvious way in which to associate the terms of the sum with rectangles in the Riemann sum.

However, I was able to find a reference that indicates that the equality in question is exact. Check out the remark from Antonio Vargas:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/141347/finding-int-xxdx

Oh yes, my favourite: the gamma function! I've always been fascinated by the minimum in the gamma function...as if it had mysterious properties. X! = 1/2 (pi).5. Solve for x.

Also, I've always found it an incredible feat of mathematical ingenuity to create meaningful solutions to non-integer factorials.

Related to Why are these 2 expressions equal?

1. What is the purpose of proving that two expressions are equal?

The purpose of proving that two expressions are equal is to demonstrate that they represent the same value or concept. This is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to simplify and manipulate equations without changing their overall meaning.

2. How do scientists determine if two expressions are equal?

Scientists determine if two expressions are equal by using logical reasoning and mathematical principles. This may involve breaking down complex expressions into simpler forms, using algebraic techniques, or applying mathematical properties such as the commutative or associative property.

3. Why is it important for scientists to understand the concept of equality?

Understanding the concept of equality is important for scientists because it allows them to accurately analyze and interpret data. In many scientific experiments, equations are used to represent relationships between variables. If scientists do not understand equality, they may draw incorrect conclusions from their data.

4. Are there any exceptions to the concept of equality in science?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the concept of equality in science. One example is the concept of approximate equality, where two expressions may not be exactly equal but are considered close enough for practical purposes. Another exception is seen in quantum mechanics, where the concept of superposition allows for multiple states to exist simultaneously.

5. How can understanding equality help in problem-solving and decision-making?

Understanding equality can help in problem-solving and decision-making by allowing scientists to evaluate the validity of their equations and make accurate predictions. It also enables them to identify relationships between variables and simplify complex systems into more manageable forms. Additionally, understanding equality can help scientists identify errors in their calculations and make necessary adjustments.