Why are there no other gamma functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of the gamma function in satisfying certain conditions and being the only analytic function with those properties. The importance and restrictive nature of analytic functions are also mentioned.
MAGNIBORO
hi, i was thinking that every function that satisfies the conditions
$$f(0)=1$$
$$f(n+1)=(n+1)f(n)$$
could be a generalization of the factorial function, and why the gamma function is the only function that complies with this conditions?

I mean why don't exist other functions, or functions based of integrals that also complies with the 2 requirements?

Even I can obviate the first property and we get a "dephased" factorial function (like gamma function) so every function that complies with the property $$f(n+1)=(n+1)f(n)$$ could be an extension of the factorial, why the UNIQUE function that make that is the gamma?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's really not the only function, but it is the only analytic function. If you require that the function be analytic (a very good property to have and very restrictive) and that f(0)=1 and f(x+1)=x⋅f(x) for all x>0, then it will be unique.
Two analytic functions that agree that much will be identical (see https://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Uniqueness_properties_of_analytic_functions). ##\Gamma##(z) is analytic except for simple poles at the negative integers. (In fact 1/##\Gamma##(z) is an entire function. So it is the unique entire function with the correct values on the real line.)

Likes jedishrfu
thanks, I Look at the links that you give me.
@FactChecker
why is so important that a function is analytic and why is so restrictive?.
i heard that one can extend the domain of a function (like riemann zeta) in one unique way and maintaining the function analytic property.

if i correct, if a function complies with the cauchy-riemann equations in a subset of ##\mathbb{C}## then is analytic in that region,
but what consequences it implies that the function complies with this equations?

its has a laurent representation for every ##z_0## in that subset?
its Infinitely differentiable?
why this is so important?

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps, the best answer here is the proof of its uniqueness:

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Gamma_Function_is_Unique_Extension_of_Factorial

I don't know of any intuitive way to look at it. @fresh_42 might have some insight here.

i have to view the proof , but the link to the hadamard function , is not just functions based on gamma?
like if we define the function
$$P(x)=\Gamma (x)\, sin\left ( \frac{\pi }{2}+2\pi x \right )$$
then is a valid extension for factorial but is obvius trivial, why the hadamard function is different?

Likes jedishrfu
MAGNIBORO said:
thanks, I Look at the links that you give me.
@FactChecker
why is so important that a function is analytic and why is so restrictive?.
i heard that one can extend the domain of a function (like riemann zeta) in one unique way and maintaining the function analytic property.

if i correct, if a function complies with the cauchy-riemann equations in a subset of ##\mathbb{C}## then is analytic in that region,
but what consequences it implies that the function complies with this equations?

its has a laurent representation for every ##z_0## in that subset?
its Infinitely differentiable?
why this is so important?
Those are good questions that deserve a lot of thought. Analytic functions have so many profound properties. Being infinitely differentiable implies that the function is completely smooth to an infinite level. The existence of a convergent Taylor series means that we have at least one known way to represent and approximate the function. And representing it with powers of z, the simplest thing, is such a natural extension of polynomials. The derivatives are also easy to determine from the Taylor series. The values of an analytic function in a disk are completely determined by its values on the circumference. The line integrals of analytic functions have special properties. For instance, a closed line integral of an function that is analytic in a simply connected region containing the line is always zero. The list of special properties of analytic functions goes on and on. You may be interested in looking at some complex analysis books, if only to become aware of what types of things they address.

Likes MAGNIBORO and jedishrfu
FactChecker said:
It's really not the only function, but it is the only analytic function. If you require that the function be analytic (a very good property to have and very restrictive) and that f(0)=1 and f(x+1)=x⋅f(x) for all x>0, then it will be unique.
Two analytic functions that agree that much will be identical (see https://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Uniqueness_properties_of_analytic_functions). ##\Gamma##(z) is analytic except for simple poles at the negative integers. (In fact 1/##\Gamma##(z) is an entire function. So it is the unique entire function with the correct values on the real line.)

The Gamma function is not the only analytic function with those properties; you need to add the condition that the positive real part of the function is log convex, i.e. that log f(x) is a convex function. Note that two analytic functions that satisfy those two properties will not have to agree that much, only on the nonnegative integers is agreement required.

Deedlit said:
The Gamma function is not the only analytic function with those properties; you need to add the condition that the positive real part of the function is log convex, i.e. that log f(x) is a convex function. Note that two analytic functions that satisfy those two properties will not have to agree that much, only on the nonnegative integers is agreement required.
Oh, thanks. You are correct (I think). I was thinking that f(0)=1 and f(x+1)=x⋅f(x) for x>0 was stronger than it is. But it only determines the positive integers. Having to use convexity seems to make the proof of uniqueness much more difficult. Sorry.

Related to Why are there no other gamma functions?

1. Why is the gamma function the only function that extends the factorial?

The gamma function was specifically designed to extend the factorial function to non-integer values. It is the only function that satisfies certain properties, such as being continuous and logarithmically convex, which are necessary for an extension of the factorial.

2. Can't another function be created to extend the factorial?

While it is possible to define other functions that behave similarly to the gamma function, they would not satisfy all of the necessary properties for an extension of the factorial. Therefore, they would not be considered a true gamma function.

3. Are there any other functions that have similar properties to the gamma function?

Yes, there are other functions that have similar properties to the gamma function, such as the beta function and the zeta function. However, these functions serve different purposes and do not extend the factorial like the gamma function does.

4. Is the gamma function the only function that can be used to solve problems involving factorials?

No, there are other functions that can be used to solve problems involving factorials, such as the binomial coefficient and the Pochhammer symbol. However, the gamma function is the most widely used and well-known method for extending the factorial.

5. Are there any practical applications for the gamma function?

Yes, the gamma function is used in various fields of mathematics, such as statistics, number theory, and complex analysis. It is also used in physics and engineering, particularly in the calculation of probabilities and in solving differential equations.