Why Are There Different Units for Moment of Inertia?

In summary, there are two different moments of inertia being discussed in this conversation: the area moment of inertia and the mass moment of inertia. The area moment of inertia has units of L4 and is used to determine bending stresses in beams, while the mass moment of inertia has units of M L2 and relates torque to angular acceleration. The difference in these units is due to the fact that the expression for the rectangle assumes a surface density of one, which should be multiplied by the surface density for the actual expression.
lingesh
Hi,
I am a bit confused about the units of MI...I read that MI of rectangle is b*d^3/12,so unit is mm^4..Also i read in wiki that unit of MI is kg.mm^2...

Both are correct,but why this difference is?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct dimension is mass x length^2. The expression for the rectangle you found assumes a surface density of one and the actual expression should be multiplied by the surface density, which will also result in a dimension of mass x length^2.

lingesh said:
Hi,
I am a bit confused about the units of MI...I read that MI of rectangle is b*d^3/12,so unit is mm^4..Also i read in wiki that unit of MI is kg.mm^2...

Both are correct,but why this difference is?

You are getting two different moments of inertia confused.

The area moment of inertia, sometimes called the second moment of area, has units of L4. The second moment of area of a rectangle is bd3/12, when referenced to the centroid of the rectangle. The area moment of inertia is chiefly used to determine things like bending stresses in beams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

The mass moment of inertia, sometimes abbreviated MOI or MMOI, is a slightly different concept. The MMOI has units of M L2.

The MMOI relates the torque applied to a body to its angular acceleration, T = I α, and is analogous to F = ma for rectilinear motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Likes lingesh
SteamKing said:
You are getting two different moments of inertia confused.

The area moment of inertia, sometimes called the second moment of area, has units of L4. The second moment of area of a rectangle is bd3/12, when referenced to the centroid of the rectangle. The area moment of inertia is chiefly used to determine things like bending stresses in beams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

The mass moment of inertia, sometimes abbreviated MOI or MMOI, is a slightly different concept. The MMOI has units of M L2.

The MMOI relates the torque applied to a body to its angular acceleration, T = I α, and is analogous to F = ma for rectilinear motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
Thanks...

Related to Why Are There Different Units for Moment of Inertia?

What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as angular mass or rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property of an object that depends on its mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by taking the integral of the mass of each individual particle in the object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units are kilograms times meters squared (kg·m²). In the CGS system, the units are grams times centimeters squared (g·cm²).

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important because it is a critical factor in determining an object's rotational motion. It explains how different objects will respond to forces applied to them and helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems.

How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion by determining its angular acceleration in response to an applied torque. Objects with larger moments of inertia will have a slower angular acceleration, while objects with smaller moments of inertia will have a faster angular acceleration for the same amount of torque applied.