Why are the quantum fields considered ontological?

In summary, quantum fields are considered ontological because they exist in the physical world and have a tangible impact on matter and energy. They are not just theoretical constructs, but are fundamental building blocks of our universe. Additionally, quantum fields have been proven to have a consistent and predictable behavior, further solidifying their ontological status. This has led to the acceptance of quantum field theory as a fundamental theory of reality, rather than just a mathematical tool.
ilper
TL;DR Summary
The quantum fields stem from the quantum mechanical wavefunction, which in the standard QM is epistemological (amplitude of probability). How can they be then considered ontological?
Summary: The quantum fields stem from the quantum mechanical wavefunction, which in the standard QM is epistemological (amplitude of probability). How can they be then considered ontological?

The quantum fields stem from the quantum mechanical wavefunction, which in the standard QM is epistemological (amplitude of probability). How can they be then considered ontological?

Physics news on Phys.org
ilper said:
The quantum fields stem from the quantum mechanical wavefunction
Do they? For instance, how does a real scalar field ##\phi## stem from a complex wave function ##\psi##? Or how does non-commutativity of field operators stem from commutative wave functions?

ilper said:
Summary: The quantum fields stem from the quantum mechanical wavefunction, which in the standard QM is epistemological (amplitude of probability). How can they be then considered ontological?

The analogy to a wave function would be a wave functional that reports amplitudes for field configurations. The wave functional would be epistemic, and the (measured) field configuration would be ontic.

This link might be useful: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quantum-field-theory/#Field

Demystifier said:
Do they? For instance, how does a real scalar field ##\phi## stem from a complex wave function ##\psi##? Or how does non-commutativity of field operators stem from commutative wave functions?
Of course scalar and EM fields don't stem from WF. But the Dirac WF is epistemic as much as Schroedinger WF and it is it that is quantized and the electron-positron field is introduced. This field is widely considered ontological. [Though not connected with my question - In regard to non-commutativity IMO it is consequence from the oscillator decomposition of the field (e.g. field=sum/integral of oscillators) and birth/annihilation operators commutator follow from x,p commutators - e.g. from QM). ]

Morbert said:
The analogy to a wave function would be a wave functional that reports amplitudes for field configurations. The wave functional would be epistemic, and the (measured) field configuration would be ontic.

This link might be useful: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quantum-field-theory/#Field
Well what about Dirac WF.

Morbert said:

Thank you very much. This text is very useful.

ilper said:
Thank you very much. This text is very useful.

As an aside, I've been looking at some literature and it seems the analogy I mentioned above results in the field interpretation inheriting some of the same problems as a particle interpretation ( see 6.3 here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/math-ph/0602036.pdf )

ilper said:
Well what about Dirac WF.

I often work with the Dirac equation in a condensed matter context (though never in a high-energy context), and in that context the solutions serve the same purposes that solutions to the Schroedinger equation serve.

Last edited:
ilper said:
birth/annihilation operators commutator follow from x,p commutators - e.g. from QM
Can you explain how exactly the former follow from the latter?

The easiest way I recall is the article in Wiki - Quantum harmonic oscillator item 1.2. Ladder operator method.

The easeast way to Show this I recall is to go to Wiki -Quantum harmonic oscillator. Item 1.2 Ladder
Demystifier said:
Can you explain how exactly the former follow from the latter?

ilper said:
The easeast way to Show this I recall is to go to Wiki -Quantum harmonic oscillator. Item 1.2 Ladder
In this way you get one creation operator, but in quantum field theory you need an infinite number of creation operators. How do you get an infinite number of creation operators from ##x## and ##p##?

Demystifier said:
his way you get one creation operator, but in quantum field theory you need an infinite number of creation operators. How do you get an infinite number of creation operators from ##x## and ##p##?
I don't understand something maybe? Why one operator? Operators are functions of k -> a=a(k) and similar for birth operators, so they are continuous set from k = 0 to infinity, so the commutation is the same for every k [a(k),a+(k)]=1 (k=0, inf). You just use a different w -> k in the formula in wiki connecting a,a+ to x,p.
In case of Dirac though one needs anticommutators.

Of course there is. w is the angular frequency. w=2πν and k=1/ν.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Morbert said:
I thought about this. IMO it brings nothing new. In the bosonic case the electromagnetic potential A (e.g. the field configuration) already gives an Amplitude for the presence of photons in x,t. From A one gets E and B and defines the energy in x.t. Deviding by E=h.ν he gets the number of photons in x.t. (e.g. the probability of QM)
It is peculiar that after quantization we loose where the photon is. It is everywhere. Because the particles are identified with single k (not a band around k) and is hence a sin wave. This way the quantized EM Looks more like probabilistic , more close to ordinary QM before the quntization.

ilper said:
Of course there is. w is the angular frequency. w=2πν and k=1/ν.
Your formula ##k=1/\nu## is true for photons, but not for a non-relativistic massive particle.

But that's not the point. The point is that ##\omega## (and hence ##k##) in this wikipedia formula is a constant, not a variable. A more physical way to say this is the following. If you have only one particle with position ##x## and momentum ##p##, then you have only one harmonic oscillator, while field theory is a theory of an infinite number of harmonic oscillators. Or if you still don't get it, then consider the Hamiltonian. In QM of a single particle in a harmonic potential the Hamiltonian is something like
$$H_{\rm QM}=\hbar\omega\left( a^{\dagger}a+\frac{1}{2}\right)$$
while in QFT the Hamiltonian is something like
$$H_{\rm QFT}=\int d^3k \, \hbar\omega(k)\left( a^{\dagger}(k)a(k)+\frac{1}{2}\right)$$
How would you get the integral ##\int d^3k## from QM?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know. Never thought about. So I suppose the 1 formulae is some idealization. As the particle is in a potential well, it's position is width of the well. So it can not be represented with just one p (k), but is a superposition Δp and you get integral. But if there is a free particle then k is sharp and the oscillator is just one. But if this is the case in QFT you also will be left with one k.

ilper said:
Well, I don't know. Never thought about. So I suppose the 1 formulae is some idealization. As the particle is in a potential well, it's position is width of the well. So it can not be represented with just one p (k), but is a superposition Δp and you get integral. But if there is a free particle then k is sharp and the oscillator is just one. But if this is the case in QFT you also will be left with one k.
It looks as if you don't know much about QFT. If you want to see how some version of QFT can be derived from QM of particles, I would suggest you to read some text on the theory of phonons (not photons) in solid state physics.

Related to Why are the quantum fields considered ontological?

1. Why are quantum fields considered ontological?

Quantum fields are considered ontological because they are believed to be the fundamental building blocks of the universe. They are thought to exist independently of human observation or measurement and are responsible for the creation of all matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do quantum fields differ from classical fields?

Quantum fields differ from classical fields in that they are described by quantum mechanics, which allows for particles to exist in multiple states at once and for their properties to be uncertain until measured. Classical fields, on the other hand, are described by classical mechanics and have well-defined properties at all times.

3. Can quantum fields be observed directly?

No, quantum fields cannot be observed directly. They are inferred through the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other. This is because quantum fields are believed to be the underlying cause of particle behavior, rather than being directly observable themselves.

4. How do quantum fields relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other. Quantum fields play a role in this principle as they determine the probability of a particle's position and momentum, and their interactions with other particles can affect these probabilities.

5. Are there different types of quantum fields?

Yes, there are different types of quantum fields, each corresponding to a different type of particle. For example, the electromagnetic field is responsible for the creation of photons, while the Higgs field is responsible for the creation of the Higgs boson. These different fields interact with each other to create the complex world of particles that we observe in the universe.