Why are the normal forces for the legs pointing downwards?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normal forces and their application in a physics problem involving a skateboarder and a metal rail. It is clarified that a normal force is a contact force and therefore, there is no normal force at the center of mass. The conversation also mentions that the total normal force is the sum of the forces at the hands and feet. The direction of the normal forces is determined by the direction of the applied force, in this case, gravity.
Kenshinz

Homework Statement

Hi all! I have been blindly drawing normal forces till today and i stumbled on this question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn 3 normal forces,
- Hand
- Leg
- Center of mass

Is there a normal force at the center of mass and is it the sum of the normal force at the hand and the leg?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20150908_211847.jpg
    20150908_211847.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ken, welcome to PF :smile: !

There is no normal force at the center of mass.
In fact the mg at the center of mass isn't there either: the force of gravity is spread out over the whole of his body. But for convenience we add up all these small contributions to one force, that then equivalently acts at the center of mass (basically that's a definition that locates the center of mass)

--

Hi BvU!

Thank you for the prompt and intuitive response! But how would I indicate the weight of the man then?

You are doing just fine indicating the weight this way. And your total FN is also correctly located (*) (and the arrow should be just as long as the mg arrow: if the guy is in a stable position, the sum of FN plus mg has to be zero). But the total FN is not a new force acting on the man; instead it is the sum of the two others at hands and feet.

(*) Correctly located, because not only the sum of the forces has to be zero (that would still allow FN at the toes to be the whole of mg) but also the sum of the torques (the leverages). Which means that the line of action of the sum of the two FN coincides with the line of action of mg (c.q. the sum of all gravity force onall parts of the guys body)

A normal force is a contact force. If there is no contact, there is no normal force.

Thanks guys! And since normal force is an opposing force, would the normal forces in the picture be drawn correctly? I drew it in red.

The question is *Draw the normal forces that the legs of the skateboarder and the metal rail exert on the skateboard.*

Thanks in advance! Hurrah!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 431
I don't like the question (don't know why not - intuition (*)?) but yes, that's what was asked.

(*) skater exercises a force on the board, and I suppose you can consider that a normal force.

Thank you for the reply BvU.

I am still unable to get hold of why the normal forces are pointing downwards for the legs instead of upwards as the force 'weight' would be pulled by gravity hence facing downwards.

Related to Why are the normal forces for the legs pointing downwards?

1. What is the sum of the normal force?

The sum of the normal force is the total force exerted on an object by a surface that is in contact with the object. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from sinking into or passing through the surface.

2. How is the sum of the normal force calculated?

The sum of the normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the cosine of the angle between the object and the surface it is in contact with.

3. What factors affect the sum of the normal force?

The sum of the normal force is affected by the weight of the object, the angle at which it is placed on the surface, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

4. Is the sum of the normal force always equal to the weight of the object?

No, the sum of the normal force is not always equal to the weight of the object. It is only equal to the weight when the object is placed on a horizontal surface with no friction acting on it.

5. Why is the sum of the normal force important in physics?

The sum of the normal force is important in physics because it helps determine the stability and motion of an object on a surface. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the laws of motion and the concept of equilibrium.