Why are the accelerations of the bowling ball and football not equal?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to GCSE physics where a student is confused about the different accelerations of a bowling ball and a football due to air resistance. The summary includes the given values for gravity, weight, air resistance, and mass, and mentions the equations used to solve the problem. The student eventually realizes their mistake and acknowledges the effect of air resistance on the objects' accelerations.
polekitten
1. What have I done wrong when I set this GCSE question?! (shortened)
Gravity: 10 N/kg
Bowling ball: weight 10 N, air resistance 0.05 N, overall force 9.95 N
Football: mass 0.5 kg, air resistance 0.05 N

Students need to work out:
  • effective force on the football (4.95 N)
  • bowling ball (a = F/m = 9.95 / 1 = 9.95 N/kg)
  • football (a = F/m = 4.95 / 0.5 = 9.9 N/kg)
So... what have I messed up as I'm pretty sure their acceleration should be equal!?

Homework Equations

F = ma, W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have played around with it and I'm missing something, help!

Physics news on Phys.org
polekitten said:
So... what have I messed up as I'm pretty sure their acceleration should be equal!?
Why should the acceleration be the same when you take into account air resistance?

Dumb... thanks for pointing out the obvious!

Related to Why are the accelerations of the bowling ball and football not equal?

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that pulls objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating into space.

Why do objects fall under gravity?

Objects fall under gravity because of the universal law of gravitation, which states that all objects with mass are attracted to each other. The larger an object's mass, the greater its gravitational pull.

How does the speed of falling objects change?

According to the laws of gravity, the speed of falling objects increases as they get closer to the ground. This is due to the acceleration caused by the Earth's gravitational pull.

What factors affect the rate of falling under gravity?

The rate of falling under gravity can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the distance it is falling, and the amount of air resistance present.

Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be turned off. Objects will always be pulled towards each other due to the effects of gravity.