Why are implications used instead of equivalent expressions in a direct proof?

In summary: You cannot prove it like that because you cannot assume the premises are true and then prove the conclusion to be true. You have to use valid logical steps and rules to show that the conclusion logically follows from the premises. Simply assuming the conclusion is true does not constitute a valid proof.
njama
"A direct proof is a proof in which the truth of the premises of a theorem are shown to directly imply the truth of the theorem's conclusion."

Here are the premises:
(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ (~P) ^ (P v Q)

and the conclusion:

(S v R) ^ (~P)

Now what I do not understand why we are using expressions that are implications are not equivalency?

Let me start the prrof.

(1) ~P premise
(2) P v Q premise
(3) From discjunctive simplification we got:
(P v Q) ^ (~P) -> Q
(4) (Q->S) premise
(5) From detachment i.e (Q->S) ^ Q -> S
(6) P -> R premise
(7) from (6) ~P v R

And I didn't come up with the conclusion? What is the problem with this direct proof?

Shouldn't I use equivalent expressions and not implications?

:confused:

Please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Which proof system are you using?

Werg22 said:
Which proof system are you using?

Its called direct proof in propositional calculus.

But the real problem is not every time implication works as same as equivalency.

For ex.

The first proof.

(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ (~P) ^ (P v Q) -> (S v R) ^ (~P) (tautology)

When substituting (P v Q) ^ (~P) -> Q

(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ Q-> (S v R) ^ (~P) is not tautology

Practically the direct proof is substituting implication in the expression, which I believe is not valid.

But from S, you should be able to prove S v X for any proposition X.

Moo Of Doom said:
But from S, you should be able to prove S v X for any proposition X.

I do not understand. Please explain how.

I don't know how in your particular system, but there's often an axiom of disjunction introduction, similar to the conjunction elimination you've been doing so far:

(conj. elim.) (A ^ B) => A
(disj. intro.) A => (A v B)

Ok, my question is:

(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ (~P) ^ (P v Q) -> (S v R) ^ (~P)

Would be correct to substitute

(~P) ^ (P v Q ) -> Q as it is equivalent expression to Q as follows (because of disjunctive simplification):

(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ Q -> (S v R) ^ (~P)

?? Is this valid?It is not. So why the proof says:

(1) A proof must end in a finite number of steps.

(2) Each step must be either a premise or a proposition that is implied from previous steps using any valid equivalence or implication.

(3) For a direct proof, the last step must be the conclusion of the theorem.

The (2) says that.

Any help, please? Could somebody possibly explain my why the direct proof is valid?

Thank you.

(~P) ^ (P v Q) implies Q, but it is not equivalent to Q (since Q says nothing about whether or not P holds). Thus, you cannot simply substitute it for (~P) ^ (P v Q) in an expression.

The steps don't need to involve substituting the things into the original formula, but just noting what other statements follow from the premises.

Moo Of Doom said:
(~P) ^ (P v Q) implies Q, but it is not equivalent to Q (since Q says nothing about whether or not P holds). Thus, you cannot simply substitute it for (~P) ^ (P v Q) in an expression.

The steps don't need to involve substituting the things into the original formula, but just noting what other statements follow from the premises.

Yes, the steps does not involve substituting, but it is same like substituting things.

I didn't manage to prove the expression above, because it is something wrong with this direct proof. Just look at my first post and see where I am stuck.

You were fine up to and including step 5.

(1) ~P premise
(2) P v Q premise
(3) From disjunctive simplification we got:
(P v Q) ^ (~P) -> Q
(4) (Q->S) premise
(5) From detachment i.e (Q->S) ^ Q -> S

Then here your next steps should be something like

(6) S -> (S v R) by disjunction introduction
(7) (S v R) ^ (~P) from (6) and (1)

And (7) is what you wanted to prove.

Thanks.

But you used premise ~P already in step (3).

Is it valid to use it again?

Of course. You can use a premise as often as you want. It remains true throughout the entire proof.

Moo Of Doom said:
Of course. You can use a premise as often as you want. It remains true throughout the entire proof.

And does p,q,s have any truth value, for example. true or false through the process?

Do we suppose from the start that the premises are true?

Yes, in a direct proof one assumes the premises are true, and derives statements from that.

Thank you.

And can we prove it like this:

(P -> R) ^ (Q -> S) ^ (~P) ^ (P v Q)

t(P->R) = T

t(Q->S)=T

t(~P)=T

t(P v Q)=T

Since the premises are true.

t(P)=F

From t(F v Q) =T, t(Q)=T

From t(T->S)=T, t(S)=T

From t(F->R) = T t(R)=T or t(R)=F

Substituting in the conclusion:

(T v R) ^ (T) <=> T ^ T <=> T

Is this valid?

Related to Why are implications used instead of equivalent expressions in a direct proof?

1. What is a "direct proof"?

A direct proof is a method of mathematical or scientific reasoning where a conclusion is reached by following a logical sequence of steps from a set of given assumptions or premises. In other words, it is a way to prove a statement or hypothesis without relying on any other existing proofs or theorems.

2. Why would a direct proof be considered "unclear"?

A direct proof may be considered unclear if the steps or reasoning used in the proof are not easy to follow or if there are gaps in the logical sequence. This can result in confusion or uncertainty about the validity of the proof and the conclusion being reached.

3. How can I make my direct proof clearer?

There are several ways to make a direct proof clearer. One way is to use clear and concise language, avoiding any unnecessary or ambiguous terms. Another way is to provide visual aids or diagrams to help illustrate the steps in the proof. Additionally, it is important to double-check all assumptions and logical steps to ensure they are accurate and valid.

4. What are the potential consequences of an unclear direct proof?

An unclear direct proof can have several consequences. It can lead to misunderstandings about the validity of the conclusion, which can result in incorrect assumptions or decisions being made. It can also make it difficult for others to replicate or build upon the proof, hindering progress in the field of study.

5. How can I improve my ability to create clear direct proofs?

The best way to improve your ability to create clear direct proofs is through practice and feedback. It is also helpful to study and analyze clear and well-constructed proofs in your field of study. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and actively seeking to improve your writing and reasoning skills can also help in creating clearer direct proofs.