Why Are Different Distances Used in Fluid Dynamics Calculations?

In summary: So the distance is the distance between the front and back walls, whichever scenario is being discussed.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

in the second picturre, why the zs1 and zs2 is calculated by using 2m and 0.6m respectively ? it should be 0.8m , am i right ? what's the purpose of the author to use 2m and 0.6m ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0032.jpg
    0032.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 364
  • 0033.jpg
    0033.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

in the second picturre, why the zs1 and zs2 is calculated by using 2m and 0.6m respectively ? it should be 0.8m , am i right ? what's the purpose of the author to use 2m and 0.6m ?
0.8m is the height of the tank. The author is comparing two orientations of the tank. In one orientation the front-to-back distance is 2m, in the other it is 0.6m. The zs values are the corresponding extra heights of the water, so one calculation uses 2m, while the other uses 0.6m.

haruspex said:
0.8m is the height of the tank. The author is comparing two orientations of the tank. In one orientation the front-to-back distance is 2m, in the other it is 0.6m. The zs values are the corresponding extra heights of the water, so one calculation uses 2m, while the other uses 0.6m.
why not we use 0.8m instead of 2m and 0.6m to get zs? the zs is in the same direction as 0.8m , right ?

haruspex said:
can you please sketch out the 3d diagram , so that i can understand better

goldfish9776 said:
why not we use 0.8m instead of 2m and 0.6m to get zs? the zs is in the same direction as 0.8m , right ?
Yes, but that is only relevant to the question whether or not the water pours out of the tank: whether zs< 0.8 or zs> 0.8.
To calculate the actual increase in the height of the water on the back wall you need to use the distance from front wall to back wall. And that depends upon the orientation of the tank.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, but that is only relevant to the question whether or not the water pours out of the tank: whether zs< 0.8 or zs> 0.8.
To calculate the actual increase in the height of the water on the back wall you need to use the distance from front wall to back wall. And that depends upon the orientation of the tank.
i think i get the idea already . why the distance is distance between the front and back wall ? Isn't teh dstance= distance between the right and left wall as shown in the figure 3-52 ?

In which direction is this box moving? How do you distinguish between "front and back" and "side to side"?

goldfish9776 said:
i think i get the idea already . why the distance is distance between the front and back wall ? Isn't teh dstance= distance between the right and left wall as shown in the figure 3-52 ?
I was using front-to-back in reference to the direction of movement. In one scenario, front-to-back is 2m (and the 0.6m doesn't matter); in the other it's the other way around.

Likes goldfish9776

Related to Why Are Different Distances Used in Fluid Dynamics Calculations?

1. What is the vertical rise of liquid?

The vertical rise of liquid refers to the distance that a liquid rises above its original level in a container due to external forces such as gravity or capillary action.

2. How is the vertical rise of liquid measured?

The vertical rise of liquid is typically measured in units of length, such as centimeters or inches, using a ruler or other measuring device. It can also be calculated using equations that take into account the properties of the liquid and the forces acting on it.

3. What factors affect the vertical rise of liquid?

The main factors that affect the vertical rise of liquid include the surface tension of the liquid, the properties of the container or vessel holding the liquid, and the external forces acting on the liquid, such as gravity or pressure.

4. How does temperature affect the vertical rise of liquid?

The temperature of a liquid can affect its surface tension and therefore impact the vertical rise of the liquid. Generally, as temperature increases, the surface tension of a liquid decreases, resulting in a larger vertical rise.

5. What applications does the concept of vertical rise of liquid have?

The concept of vertical rise of liquid has many applications in science and engineering, including in the design of pumps, pipes, and other systems that involve the movement of liquids. It is also important in understanding capillary action and how liquids behave in small spaces, such as in microfluidics and biological systems.