Why Am I Struggling with Newton's Laws Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses problems involving the tension of ropes and the acceleration of objects. The first problem involves finding the tension in ropes supporting a person in a hammock, while the second problem involves finding the acceleration of a car and the tension in a string holding a tassel. The conversation also includes explanations and equations for solving the problems.
jordanfeld
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out some of these problems. If people could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. A 50.0-kg person takes a nap in a backyard hammock. Both ropes supporting the hammock are at an angle of 15.0° above the horizontal. Find the tension of the ropes.

-I used Fy2 = Ft2 sin (°). I got 1895.3 for an answer, yet I don't think this is right at all.

2. Your friend's 12.6-g graduation tassel hangs on a string from his rear-view mirror.
(a) When he accelerates from a stoplight, the tassel deflects backward toward the rear of the car. Explain.
(b) If the tassel hangs at an angle of 6.2° relative to the vertical, what is the acceleration of the car?
(c) Find the tension in the string holding the tassel.
(d) At what angle to the vertical will the tension in the string be twice the weight of the tassel?

-I found that the tassel is .0126-kg.
-For (a) I said "the sudden stop in acceleration causes it to go back, because there is nothing to stop it's movement."
-For (b) I wrote the equation Fnet = Fg - Fn

Thanks for any help, I am just very lost. If you can even reccomend any detailed websites, that'd be great as well. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
jordanfeld said:
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out some of these problems. If people could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. A 50.0-kg person takes a nap in a backyard hammock. Both ropes supporting the hammock are at an angle of 15.0° above the horizontal. Find the tension of the ropes.

-I used Fy2 = Ft2 sin (°). I got 1895.3 for an answer, yet I don't think this is right at all.

You're very close, but you forgot that the person's weight is supported by two ropes, not one. If you divide 1895 by 2, you'd get the right answer.

2. Your friend's 12.6-g graduation tassel hangs on a string from his rear-view mirror.
(a) When he accelerates from a stoplight, the tassel deflects backward toward the rear of the car. Explain.
(b) If the tassel hangs at an angle of 6.2° relative to the vertical, what is the acceleration of the car?
(c) Find the tension in the string holding the tassel.
(d) At what angle to the vertical will the tension in the string be twice the weight of the tassel?

-I found that the tassel is .0126-kg.
-For (a) I said "the sudden stop in acceleration causes it to go back, because there is nothing to stop it's movement."
-For (b) I wrote the equation Fnet = Fg - Fn

For a: What is a "sudden stop in acceleration"? The car's just accelerating; there's no stop in its acceleration. Otherwise, your explanation is correct: the thing has inertia and doesn't want to change its speed.

For b, what's Fn? Try drawing a free-body diagram of the tassel, labeling the external forces, and writing out Newton's second law for both the x and y directions. After that, you just have to solve the equations.

Dear student,

I understand that you are having trouble with these Newton's Laws problems. I would suggest reviewing the basic principles of Newton's Laws and applying them to each problem step by step. It's important to identify all the forces acting on the objects in question and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables.

For the first problem, you correctly used the equation Fy2 = Ft2 sin(°) to find the tension in the ropes. However, it's important to note that the angle given is measured above the horizontal, not below. So the correct equation should be Fy2 = Ft2 sin(15°). Also, make sure to convert the person's mass from kg to N (Newton) by using the conversion factor 9.8 m/s^2. This should give you the correct answer.

For the second problem, here are some hints to help you solve it:
(a) Think about the direction of the net force acting on the tassel when the car accelerates.
(b) Use the equation Fnet = ma to find the acceleration of the car.
(c) Use the equation Fnet = Fg - Fn to find the tension in the string.
(d) Set the tension in the string equal to twice the weight of the tassel and solve for the angle.

I would also recommend checking out Khan Academy or Physics Classroom for more detailed explanations and practice problems on Newton's Laws. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

Related to Why Am I Struggling with Newton's Laws Problems?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the second law of motion relate to force and acceleration?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the less its acceleration will be for a given force.

4. Can you provide an example of the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object. An example of this is when a person pushes against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal force, causing the person to remain stationary.

5. How can Newton's laws be applied to real-world problems?

Newton's laws can be applied to real-world problems by using them to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion. They are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to design and explain the motion of various systems. By understanding these laws, scientists and engineers can solve complex problems and develop new technologies.