What Causes Difficulty in Understanding Chemistry?

• Thread starter gotzmlk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: Drops of each chemical into test tubes=====================================================================ratios: K:Na test tube1: 0:24test tube2: 1:5test tube3: 1:2test tube4: 1:1test tube5: 2:1test tube6: 5:1test tube7: 24:0=====================================================================In summary, copper sulfate reacts with sodium hydroxide to form copper hydroxide.
gotzmlk
Hi, I am having a huge problem with chem. i do not know what the heck is going on so can i have some help.

Drops of each chemical into test tubes
=====================================================================
ratios Ca:CO
test tube1: 0:24
test tube2: 1:5
test tube3: 1:2
test tube4: 1:1
test tube5: 2:1
test tube6: 5:1
test tube7: 24:0

Determining Chemical Formulas I
11. Based on valence, what do you think is the correct chemical formula for calcium carbonate?
CaCO3

12. Do your experimental results for the chemical formula for calcium carbonate agree with your chemical formula in question #11?

13. What is the name of the new solid formed in the reaction?
Salt

14. What is the name of the new liquid formed in the reaction?

15. Write the name of each of the compounds below the chemical equation, which shows what reaction, took place:

CaCl2 + Na2CO3 à 2 NaCl

_____________ _________________ __________________

16. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca2CO3, which test tube would have contained the greatest amount of precipitate?

17. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca(CO3)5, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

18. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca(CO3)2, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

19. How could you experimentally determine the correct chemical formula for the new liquid formed?

20. How were the rations of calcium and carbonate determined?

Drops of each chemical into test tubes
ratios: Cu:OH
test tube1: O:24
test tube2: 1:5
test tube3: 1:2
test tube4: 1:1
test tube5: 2:1
test tube6: 5:1
test tube 7: 24:0

Determining Chemical Formulas II
1. List the elements and the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of copper sulfate?

2. How many different elements are in one molecule of copper sulfate?

3. How many total atoms are in one molecule of copper sulfate

4. What is the symbol and valence for copper II?

5. What is the formula and valence for sulfate?

6. List the elements and the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of sodium hydroxide?

7. How many different elements are in one molecule of sodium hydroxide?

8. How many total atoms are in once molecule of sodium hydroxide?

9. What is the symbol and valence for sodium?

10. What is the formula and valence for hydroxide?

11. Based in valence, what do you think is the correct chemical formula for copper hydroxide?

12. Do your experimental results for the chemical formula for copper hydroxide agree with your chemical formula in question #11?

13. What is the name of the new solid formed in the reaction?

14. What is the name of the new liquid formed in the reaction?

15. Write the name of each of the compounds below the chemical equation, which shows what reaction, took place:

CuCO4 + 2 NaOH à Na2SO4

16. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been CuOH, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

17. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been Cu2OH, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

18. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been Cu(OH)5, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

19. How could you experimentally determine the chemical formula for the new liquid formed?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what I can remember

please note, while my degree was in chemistry, its been a while and I am very likely to get them wrong!... will answer form what think I KNOW!

. How many total atoms are in one molecule of copper sulfate

CuSO 4

What is the formula and valence for hydroxide?

-OH

its - 1

What is the formula and valence for sulfate?

- 2 I THINK!

S04

What is the symbol and valence for sodium?

Na

Na is plus one Na +1

List the elements and the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of sodium hydroxide?

Na only one
O only one
H only one

thus full forumla

NaOH

How could you experimentally determine the chemical formula for the new liquid formed?

tell me the product please?

most (carbon cont) chemicals can be tested using some forms of spectroscopy!

sorry don't have enough time...

Last edited:

20. How were the ratios of copper and hydroxide determined?

Dear student,

I understand that chemistry can be a challenging subject, but don't worry, with some practice and guidance, you can improve your understanding and skills. Here are some tips that can help you:

1. Start by reviewing the basics: Before diving into more complex concepts, make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals. This includes understanding the periodic table, atomic structure, and basic chemical reactions.

2. Practice, practice, practice: Chemistry is a subject that requires a lot of practice to master. Make sure you are working through practice problems and examples to reinforce your understanding.

3. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you are struggling with a concept. Talk to your teacher, join a study group, or consider hiring a tutor to provide you with additional support.

4. Use visual aids: Sometimes, seeing a concept visually can make it easier to understand. Try using diagrams, videos, and other visual aids to help you grasp difficult concepts.

5. Make connections: Chemistry is all about understanding how different elements and compounds interact with each other. Try to make connections between different concepts and see how they relate to each other.

6. Memorize key information: Some aspects of chemistry, such as chemical formulas and valence, require memorization. Make flashcards or use mnemonic devices to help you remember this information.

7. Stay organized: Keeping your notes, assignments, and study materials organized can help you stay on top of your work and better understand the material.

Lastly, don't get discouraged if you are struggling with chemistry. It takes time and effort to improve, but with persistence, you can overcome your difficulties and succeed in the subject. Good luck!

Related to What Causes Difficulty in Understanding Chemistry?

1. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking detailed notes, asking questions, and practicing problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

2. What are some common mistakes I might be making in chemistry?

Some common mistakes students make in chemistry include not paying attention to units, not understanding the concepts behind equations, and not practicing enough problems. It is important to carefully read and follow instructions, and to seek clarification if needed.

3. How can I memorize chemical formulas and equations?

Memorizing chemical formulas and equations can be challenging, but it is important to understand the underlying concepts and patterns. Visual aids, such as flashcards or drawing out structures, can also be helpful. Practice and repetition are key in memorizing formulas and equations.

4. What resources are available to help me with chemistry?

There are many resources available to help with chemistry, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or recommended readings. It can also be helpful to attend office hours or seek help from a tutor.

5. How can I stay motivated and engaged in chemistry?

Staying motivated and engaged in chemistry can be challenging, but setting realistic goals and actively engaging with the material can help. Additionally, finding real-world applications of chemistry and seeking help when needed can also keep you motivated. Remember to also take breaks and find ways to make studying fun and interesting.