Why am I not getting an Executable when Downloading?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the person downloaded a zip file and when they tried to install the contents, they were told that the file needed to be extracted first. They then posted a link to where they got the file.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I am trying to download and install MSSQL 2012 . I can download effectively, but I keep getting a bunch of .zip files that I cannot turn into an executable. What is going on? I don't know that much about Win7 ultimate.

BTW, I have Windows 7 ultimate (work computer) dual core 2.80 GHZ 4GB , 32-bit.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The executable is probably inside the zip file. You just need to extract it somewhere.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
The executable is probably inside the zip file. You just need to extract it somewhere.
Do you have any idea of the file extension? I would assume it to be an .exe file, but I am not seeing one. OR other way of finding it?

Maybe a .msi file? It would be easier if you show a screenshot of the top level files or what's in a bin directory if that exists. Or, post the link to where you got it.

upload_2016-4-26_13-14-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-26_13-14-7.png
    upload_2016-4-26_13-14-7.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 505
That's not what I had in mind. Where did you put the zip files when you downloaded them? From there, just show the file list without a search.

Thanks; strangely, Win 7 does not tell you where it stores the files, it makes this choice for you. Still, I will check, thanks for your patience.

Storage location is a setting in your browser. If you use IE, it will usually default to your MyDocuments directory. You can turn it off and tell that you want to choose the location every time.

Likes WWGD
Please post the link where you downloaded this .zip file, so we can try and find what file you need to install what you want.

Have you unzipped the .zip file, and if so do you know where Windows 7 placed those extracted files? Otherwise, you can use a tool such as WinRar which allows you to choose where the extracted files go.

Thanks all, it seems I was missing some patches, which I just installed. I will keep you posted, but it
seems to have worked out.

Likes Borg
Hi again, it seems like the god Computus has smiled on me and MSSQL and Management Studio have installed successfully. It seems it may have been the missing patches that were in the way. Borg has become an unnofficial consultant at my job :).

WWGD said:
Hi again, it seems like the god Computus has smiled on me and MSSQL and Management Studio have installed successfully. It seems it may have been the missing patches that were in the way. Borg has become an unnofficial consultant at my job :).
Maybe I should introduce you to my friends Google and StackOverflow? :oldwink:

Borg said:
Maybe I should introduce you to my friends Google and StackOverflow? :oldwink:
Believe me, PF is not my first stop usually, I do stop by a few sites before. PF is my call of desperation after trying a bunch of things.
EDIT: I mean, I do make an effort to find solutions , do reading, etc. before posting questions here in PF

Last edited:

Related to Why am I not getting an Executable when Downloading?

1. Why is my downloaded file not an executable?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the file was not intended to be an executable, and instead is a document, image, or other type of file. Another possibility is that the download was interrupted or corrupted, resulting in an incomplete or damaged file. Lastly, it could be a security measure on your computer that is preventing the file from being recognized as an executable.

2. How can I make sure the file I download is an executable?

Before downloading the file, make sure it is from a trusted source and is labeled as an executable. Also, check the file extension to see if it is .exe or .dmg for Windows and Mac computers, respectively. If you are unsure, you can always scan the file with an antivirus program before opening it.

3. Can I convert a non-executable file into an executable?

In most cases, no. Executable files are specifically designed and coded to perform certain functions, and converting a non-executable file into an executable would require extensive programming knowledge. It is not recommended to attempt this without proper expertise.

4. What should I do if I accidentally download a malicious executable file?

If you believe you have downloaded a malicious executable file, do not open it and immediately delete it from your computer. You can also run a full scan of your computer with an antivirus program to ensure your system is not compromised.

5. Is it safe to download and run executable files?

As with any downloaded file, there is always a risk of malware or viruses. It is important to only download executable files from trusted sources and to have a reliable antivirus program installed on your computer. Additionally, always use caution when opening and running any executable file, even if it is from a trusted source.