Why adj( U(t)) * U(t) = I where U(t) is a propagator in QM?

In summary, the time evolution operator U(t) in quantum mechanics, also known as the propagator, must preserve probabilities, which was proven by E. P. Wigner in 1931. This implies that U(t) is a unitary operator, as confirmed by the condition adjoint(U(t)) * U(t) = I. Another proof can be found in Stone's theorem in operator theory. It is important to note that many properties of QM can be derived from the mathematical properties of the Hilbert space, such as the resolution of the identity being a result of vector calculus.
ehrenfest
This is probably really obvious but can someone explain to me why adjiont( U(t)) * U(t) = I where U(t) is a propagator in QM and I is the identity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that basically the definition of U?

Look at what happens if you time-reverse the Schrödinger equation.

ehrenfest said:
This is probably really obvious but can someone explain to me why adjiont( U(t)) * U(t) = I where U(t) is a propagator in QM and I is the identity.

This is not obvious, but can be proven. The time evolution operator U(t) [also known as propagator] must preserve probabilities. E. P. Wigner proved (I think it was in 1931) that this implies that U(t) is a unitary operator (formally, U(t) can be also antiunitary, but this possibility can be discarded on the basis of continuity of U(t)). This result is called "Wigner theorem". The condition you wrote is equivalent to saying that U(t) is a unitary operator.

Eugene.

in the language of operator theory, i believe another proof is via Stone's theorem.

it is always a bit startling to realize that many of the properties of QM follow very naturally from the mathematical properties of the Hilbert space. for example, many people are (for some reason) surprised when i tell them that the resolution of the identity, or complete set of states, [tex]\sum_i |i><i| = 1[/tex] is merely a trivial result of vector calculus, e.g. [tex]\vec{v} = \sum_i \vec{e_i} (\vec{e_i} \cdot \vec{v}) [/tex] with an arbitrary basis

Related to Why adj( U(t)) * U(t) = I where U(t) is a propagator in QM?

1. Why is U(t) called a propagator in Quantum Mechanics?

The term "propagator" comes from the idea that U(t) represents the evolution of a quantum state over time. It is a mathematical operator that describes how a system evolves from one state to another at a specific time t.

2. What does the notation "adj(U(t))" mean in the equation U(t) * adj(U(t)) = I?

The notation "adj(U(t))" refers to the adjoint or Hermitian conjugate of the operator U(t). In simple terms, it is the complex conjugate of the transpose of U(t).

3. Why does U(t) * adj(U(t)) equal the identity operator I?

This is a fundamental property of unitary operators in Quantum Mechanics. The adjoint of an operator is defined in such a way that when multiplied with the original operator, it produces the identity operator. This is important because unitary operators preserve the normalization of quantum states.

4. How is the equation U(t) * adj(U(t)) = I related to the conservation of probability in Quantum Mechanics?

The equation U(t) * adj(U(t)) = I ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any state remains the same throughout its evolution. This is known as the conservation of probability, and it is a fundamental principle in Quantum Mechanics.

5. Can the equation U(t) * adj(U(t)) = I be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, this equation is a general property of unitary operators and can be applied to any quantum system. It is a fundamental principle that governs the evolution of quantum states in time.