Why a bulb glow dimmer in beginning and then brighter

In summary, when a bulb is connected to an inductor, the inductor causes the current to rise slowly to its final value due to its property of not allowing current to switch instantaneously. By solving a differential equation, one can determine the expression for current over time and find the maximum value, which will be equivalent to the value obtained if the inductor is removed and replaced with a wire.
amaresh92

Homework Statement

greetings
why a bulb glow dimmer in beginning and then brighter when it is connected to a inductor?

Physics news on Phys.org

Because, inductor won't let current to switch instantaneously, i.e., it will make current rise slowly to its final value.
If you work out the math by assuming that the rate at which inductor let's current to rise is proportional to voltage across it, i.e. dI/dt = (1/L) V, then applying KVL, you will come to a differential equation.
Solving the differential equation, you will get expression for current, i.e. current as a function of time, I(t), which will give you all the information you need.

thecritic said:
Because, inductor won't let current to switch instantaneously, i.e., it will make current rise slowly to its final value.
If you work out the math by assuming that the rate at which inductor let's current to rise is proportional to voltage across it, i.e. dI/dt = (1/L) V, then applying KVL, you will come to a differential equation.
Solving the differential equation, you will get expression for current, i.e. current as a function of time, I(t), which will give you all the information you need.

what will be the maximum value of votage or current?

The maximum value which is the final steady state value will be equivalent to what will be obtained if you remove the inductor and join with wire.

Hello! This phenomenon is due to the behavior of inductors in an electrical circuit. When an inductor is first connected to a circuit, it resists the flow of current and causes a delay in the buildup of current in the circuit. This delay results in a dimmer glow in the bulb at the beginning. However, as the current continues to flow, the inductor reaches its maximum capacity and allows the full current to pass through. This results in a brighter glow in the bulb. Additionally, the inductor also helps to stabilize the current flow and prevent any sudden spikes or drops, resulting in a steady and consistent brightness in the bulb. I hope this explanation helps!

Related to Why a bulb glow dimmer in beginning and then brighter

1. Why does a bulb glow dimmer in the beginning?

The initial dimness of a bulb's glow is due to the flow of electricity causing the filament to heat up. As the filament heats up, it increases the bulb's resistance, which results in a lower flow of electricity and a dimmer glow.

2. What causes the bulb to gradually get brighter?

As the filament continues to heat up, its resistance decreases, allowing more electricity to flow through and increasing the bulb's brightness. This process is known as thermal equilibrium and is why the bulb gradually gets brighter over time.

3. Why does the bulb not immediately reach its maximum brightness?

The filament of a bulb has a high melting point, so it takes time for it to reach its maximum temperature and brightness. Additionally, the filament's resistance increases as it heats up, slowing down the flow of electricity and further delaying the bulb's maximum brightness.

4. Can the initial dimness of a bulb be prevented?

Yes, using a preheat circuit can prevent the initial dimness of a bulb. This circuit allows a small amount of current to flow through the filament before the bulb is fully turned on, preheating the filament and reducing its resistance, resulting in a brighter initial glow.

5. Can the bulb's dimness and brightness be controlled?

Yes, the dimness and brightness of a bulb can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current flowing through it. Using a dimmer switch or varying the input voltage can change the amount of electricity flowing through the filament, thus controlling the bulb's brightness.