Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Who's Replying in Threads

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

I just thought that it would be cool to see who else is replying to the thread in the tread itself. When I think about replying to a thread and see that there are others who are reading the thread I will go to who is online and see whether they are replying to the thread or not. Now wouldn't it be more easier if we could implement this functionality in the thread itself.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

I just thought that it would be cool to see who else is replying to the thread in the tread itself. When I think about replying to a thread and see that there are others who are reading the thread I will go to who is online and see whether they are replying to the thread or not. Now wouldn't it be more easier if we could implement this functionality in the thread itself.
That would be cool. It would preempt people from spending scads of time on a thread if they think someone else is already replying to it. Yes, there is the "Someone else posted before you" warning, but it would be nice to spare the effort in the first place.

My concern would be server load. Who's Online uses a disproportionate amount of server resources. If we have to tap into that to make this feature work, my guess is that it would not be workable. No doubt Mark and Jameson could say more on the matter.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I think this is an excellent idea, and will soon be looking into it. (Yes)

It will add to the server load, especially given that people likely tend to view threads with much greater frequency than they view the "Who's Online" page, and so I will try to ascertain if this added load is impractical or not, and discuss everything I find with the senior staff. :D

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
While we were able to write the code to do this, it was decided the added server load just wasn't worth it. I will mark this as [SOLVED].