Whom do we consider as moving in special theory of relativity?

In summary, the special theory of relativity explains why time slows down for a person moving at a high speed compared to someone standing still. However, there is no preferred rest frame and both people will see the other's clock ticking slower. The concept of simultaneity is observer dependent and does not affect the laws of physics.
jason_bourne
hey guys... i have understood the part of special theory of relativity where they explain why the time slows down for a guy moving with greater speed.. or atleast i think i have understood. But the problem is that suppose two guys are in the space one guy is moving at a high speed and the other one is standing still .. so according to the theory the one whos moving his clock should go slow than the one who is standing in one place... but the point is as to which person should i considered moving or standing or moving according to normal relativity concept.. i may consider the one standing as moving and vice versa .. so wen they compare their watches whose watch should have delayed? how one decides this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no preferred rest frame. They are both right when they say that the other guy's clock is ticking at a slower rate. (If you think this can't possibly be true, you are wrong. Check out the threads about the twin paradox if you want to know more).

By the way, what a clock measures is the "length" of the path it takes through space-time, with "length" defined in a funny way. You add up contributions of the form [itex]\sqrt{dt^2-dx^2}[/itex] along the path, so movement in "space" makes the path shorter.

The whole point of "relativity" is that it does not matter. The laws of physics are the same and will give the same result no matter which frame of reference you take.

(Notice, here, each person saying that the other person's clock is ticking slower is the "same result".)

the reason that each is able to see the other as time dilated is that there is a loss of simultaneity.

i wrote a long explanation of this but nobody responded.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=236978

granpa said:
the reason that each is able to see the other as time dilated is that there is a loss of simultaneity.

i wrote a long explanation of this but nobody responded.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=236978
If it requires a long explanation it's probably wrong. Simultaneity is an observer dependent phenomenon and is an effect of relative motion and position. It is not a cause of anything.

Related to Whom do we consider as moving in special theory of relativity?

1. What is the concept of relative motion in special theory of relativity?

In special theory of relativity, relative motion refers to the motion of an object in relation to another object. This theory states that there is no absolute frame of reference and all motion is relative to the observer.

2. How does special theory of relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

Special theory of relativity explains time dilation as the slowing down of time for an object in motion relative to another object. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. Who is considered to be in motion in special theory of relativity?

In special theory of relativity, both objects in relative motion are considered to be in motion. This means that both observers will experience time and space differently due to their relative velocities.

4. How does special theory of relativity account for the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. Special theory of relativity accounts for this by showing that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, regardless of their relative velocities.

5. What is the role of the speed of light in special theory of relativity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in special theory of relativity. It is considered to be the maximum speed at which any object can travel, and it is constant for all observers regardless of their relative velocities. This constant speed of light is what leads to the effects of time dilation and length contraction in this theory.