Who wrote these Linear Algebra Notes -Thomas?

In summary, a set of 1980's lecture notes on introductory linear algebra were found in a used book store with the title "Linear Algebra" and stamped with the name "Thomas". The notes consist of roughly 300 pages of typewritten, double-spaced, single-sided pages with dates ranging from 1/20/86 to 1/25/86. Pictures of the cover and first two pages suggest that the author may be George Thomas, known for his popular calculus textbooks. However, there is no information about the author or class number in the notes and they appear to be a one-of-a-kind item. The pages seem to be photocopies from a copier of that time period. It is suggested to ask
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Let's see if anyone can identify the author of some 1980's lecture notes on introductory linear algebra.

I bought this bound set of lecture notes in a used book store. The title stamped on the binding is "Linear Algebra . Thomas". These are images of 8 by 11 1/2 inch typewritten pages, double spaced, single sided, not consecutively numbered. I estimate there are about 300 pages. The pages have dates at the bottom that range from 1/20/86 to 1/25/86.

Pictures of the cover and the first two pages are here:

Attachments

• LinAlgThomasCover.jpg
    LinAlgThomasCover.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 453
  • LinAlgThomas01.jpg
    LinAlgThomas01.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 453
  • LinAlgThomas02.jpg
    LinAlgThomas02.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
George Thomas of Thomas/Finney calculus text fame?

Looks like it to me. He did write a number of excellent books.

(George Thomas was my teacher for Freshman Calculus. Oops, I have aged myself!)
(George Thomas died three years ago at the age of 92.)

George Thomas sounds like a good possibility. There is no information printed in the volume about the author, the class number etc. The book is professionally bound, but it looks like a one-of-a-kind thing. The pages are just 1980's era copier output. If you know anyone that might have taken linear algebra from him, please ask them about what notes he used. Maybe someone at the math department where he taught would know.

Unfortunately, without further information, it is impossible to definitively identify the author of these lecture notes. The name "Thomas" could refer to the author, but it could also be the name of the person who owned or used the notes. The dates on the pages suggest that the notes were written or used in January 1986, but this does not necessarily indicate the year in which they were written. It is also possible that the notes were written by someone named Thomas, but without more context or information, it is difficult to determine the author's identity.

Related to Who wrote these Linear Algebra Notes -Thomas?

1. Who is Thomas?

Thomas is the author of these Linear Algebra Notes. He is a mathematician and scientist who has expertise in the field of linear algebra.

2. What is Thomas's background?

Thomas has a PhD in Mathematics and has been actively involved in research and teaching in the field of linear algebra for over 10 years. He has published numerous papers and articles on the subject and is highly regarded in the academic community.

3. What inspired Thomas to write these notes?

Thomas saw a need for a comprehensive and easily understandable resource for students and researchers studying linear algebra. He wanted to share his knowledge and insights with others and make the subject more accessible.

4. How are these notes different from other linear algebra resources?

These notes are written in a concise and clear manner, making them easy to understand for students at all levels. They also include numerous examples and practice problems to reinforce the concepts taught.

5. Are these notes suitable for self-study?

Yes, these notes are designed for both self-study and as a supplement to a linear algebra course. They cover all the key topics and provide a solid foundation for further study in the subject.