Who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of an observer in reality and how it relates to the age of the universe. It is agreed that a human observer is not required for reality, and the quote about particles and observers refers to quantum mechanics rather than cosmology. It is then suggested that a textbook should be consulted for a better understanding of quantum mechanics instead of relying on pop science books.
newrd
If reality requires an observer, and life on Earth is only 3.8 billion years old- yet the universe is 13.8 billion years old, who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

Space news on Phys.org
Reality does not require an observer.

So when we say "A particle has neither a definite position nor a definite velocity unless and until those quantities are measured by an observer" it doesn't mean for reality in general- just specific particles?

newrd said:
So when we say

In the words of Tonto, "What you mean we?" I have never said such a thing, because it's not correct. A human observer is not required.

Vanadium 50 said:
In the words of Tonto, "What you mean we?" I have never said such a thing, because it's not correct. A human observer is not required.
Ahh ok, I got the quote from a Stephen Hawking book, I thought it may just be the generally agreed upon stance?

Vanadium 50 said:
Ohh yeah- and I never said human ;)

newrd said:
when we say "A particle has neither a definite position nor a definite velocity unless and until those quantities are measured by an observer"

Then we are talking about quantum mechanics, not cosmology, and you should spend some time actually learning QM from a textbook.

newrd said:
I got the quote from a Stephen Hawking book

Which, since I'm assuming it was a pop science book (because Hawking doesn't say anything like this in any actual peer-reviewed literature), is not an acceptable source when you want to discuss the actual science. Thread closed.

Related to Who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

1. Who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

The concept of "observer" in science is often used to refer to any entity that collects or records information about a particular system or phenomenon. Therefore, it is not possible to determine a specific individual or entity that was the observer for the first 10 billion years of the universe's existence.

2. How do we know what happened in the first 10 billion years of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques, such as observations, experiments, and mathematical models, to study the early universe and understand its evolution. These methods allow us to make educated assumptions and predictions about the events that occurred during the first 10 billion years.

3. Can we ever know for sure what happened during the first 10 billion years of the universe?

Due to the limitations of human technology and the vastness of the universe, there will always be some level of uncertainty when studying the early universe. However, through continued research and advancements in technology, our understanding of the first 10 billion years will continue to improve.

4. Are there any physical remnants or evidence from the first 10 billion years?

Yes, there are several physical remnants and evidence from the early universe that scientists use to study its history. These include the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the abundance of certain elements in the universe.

5. How do scientists make predictions about events that occurred billions of years ago?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and observations of the universe's current state to make predictions about its past. By studying the laws of physics and the behavior of matter and energy, scientists can create models that help us understand the events that occurred during the first 10 billion years of the universe.