Who is your favorite author and why?

• Thread starter sylviaplath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about favorite authors and books. The speaker mentions their favorite authors: Charles Dickens, Sylvia Plath, Ntoshake Shange, Roger Penrose, Alexander Dumas, William Shakespeare, Emily Bronte, and Charlotte Bronte. They explain their reasons for liking each author and which works they enjoy. The conversation then shifts to the listener's favorite authors and the speaker recommends reading "Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain.
sylviaplath
I know this is a physics and science forum, but we do need a well-rounded community right? :smile:

My favorite writers:

(1) Charles Dickens
(2) Sylvia Plath
(3) Ntoshake Shange
(4) Roger Penrose
(5) Alexander Dumas
(6) William Shakespeare
(7) Emily Bronte
(8) Charlotte Bronte

Charles Dickens takes the #1 spot, because of his innovative prose. His stories too were very coherent (especially David Copperfield) my favorite. Although I did not particularly enjoy Bleak House.

Shakespeare is good too, but I am not a fan of the Old English Dialect. His sonnets are good (i.e. the Shakespearean sonnett). Also, I really liked The Tempest, and Macbeth.

Who are your favorite authors? Why? Is it because of the plot and story, the writing style (i.e. voice), literary devices, etc..

From these authors, which works do you enjoy?

Physics news on Phys.org
sylviaplath said:
Shakespeare is good too, but I am not a fan of the Old English Dialect.
Believe it or not, Shakespeare wrote in Modern English. Beowolf is written in Old English. I don't have a favorite author or book. Most recently read was "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) is perhaps my favorite author. Ambrose Bierce may have had a sharper wit, but Clemens got things across with a folksy self-deprecating humor that grows on you. If you have not read "Innocents Abroad", you are in for a treat. It was a journal published as a serial in newspapers recording his participation in a tour of Europe and the Holy Land. You'll laugh, you'll cry...then you'll stop crying and convulse in laughter. His humor is dry and subtle and his insights are on-point.

1. Who are your favorite writers?

My favorite writers are J.R.R. Tolkien, Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, Agatha Christie, and Stephen King.

2. What makes these writers stand out to you?

I appreciate the unique writing styles and storytelling abilities of these writers. Each one has a distinct voice and a way of captivating readers.

3. Do you have a favorite book from each of these writers?

Yes, my favorite book from J.R.R. Tolkien is The Lord of the Rings, from Jane Austen is Pride and Prejudice, from Ernest Hemingway is The Old Man and the Sea, from Agatha Christie is And Then There Were None, and from Stephen King is The Shining.

4. Is there a common theme or element among your favorite writers?

While each writer has their own unique style, I do notice a common theme of strong character development and intricate plot twists in their works.

5. Have these writers influenced your own writing or research?

Absolutely. I have drawn inspiration from their writing techniques and storytelling skills in my own research and writing projects.

Back