Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Who designed this forum skin?

• Admin

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
This is one of the best forum skins I've seen lately. Wonder who designed? Kudos to that person!

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, this is by far the best looking math help forum I have ever seen.:cool:

It just shows you what an active administration can accomplish! (Happy)

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I don't know how I missed dethfire registering last February. Guys, we have been complimented by the owner/admin of one of the best forums on the net, physicsforums.com! It's a great compliment coming from Greg, who has been doing this for a long time. (Cool)

@dethfire - We hired a designer from That1Design to do the work. He's amazing and it was the best money ever spent. He's ours though! Don't go using him too!! (Rofl)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Guys, we have been complimented by the owner/admin of one of the best forums on the net, physicsforums.com! It's a great compliment coming from Greg, who has been doing this for a long time. (Cool)...
Wow! This is indeed a great compliment then! I had no idea we had such a dignitary here! (Yes)

• Admin

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
I don't know how I missed dethfire registering last February. Guys, we have been complimented by the owner/admin of one of the best forums on the net, physicsforums.com! It's a great compliment coming from Greg, who has been doing this for a long time. (Cool)

@dethfire - We hired a designer from That1Design to do the work. He's amazing and it was the best money ever spent. He's ours though! Don't go using him too!! (Rofl)
Thanks Jameson! :) It really is wonderfully unique and full of character!

No worries, at the moment my mind is preoccupied by the debacle that is vB5. But that deserves a whole other thread (Smoking)

Cheers!

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks Jameson! :) It really is wonderfully unique and full of character!

No worries, at the moment my mind is preoccupied by the debacle that is vB5. But that deserves a whole other thread (Smoking)

Cheers!
I am not impressed with vB5 right now. Are you guys going to upgrade when it goes gold? I will be watching for sure to see that! Your forum is so fast and has millions of posts so I think scalability and speed must be primary concerns.

• Admin

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
I am not impressed with vB5 right now. Are you guys going to upgrade when it goes gold? I will be watching for sure to see that! Your forum is so fast and has millions of posts so I think scalability and speed must be primary concerns.
Not a chance would I upgrade at Gold. I've been keeping track of the Beta's and I have yet to be impressed. The performance is terrible on the demo. Key features will be missing in Gold. URL structures are changing. They say redirects will be in place, but I can't trust that at the moment. I really don't know what they are doing. I've been mulling over whether to switch to IPB or Xenforo (the lawsuit still worries me). Either way, I'm staying put on 3.8 for the foreseen future and wait for the chips to land. It's a shame because I quite like 4.2, but it's now a dead end.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Not a chance would I upgrade at Gold. I've been keeping track of the Beta's and I have yet to be impressed. The performance is terrible on the demo. Key features will be missing in Gold. URL structures are changing. They say redirects will be in place, but I can't trust that at the moment. I really don't know what they are doing. I've been mulling over whether to switch to IPB or Xenforo (the lawsuit still worries me). Either way, I'm staying put on 3.8 for the foreseen future and wait for the chips to land. It's a shame because I quite like 4.2, but it's now a dead end.
My thoughts exactly.

3.8.x is really stable and with some customization looks very close to 4.2.x, although some features might be missing. I like the look though on PF and don't think it looks outdated because it isn't vB4.

I'll look out for you guys making some kind of upgrade at some point. If you switch to IPB or Xenforo I'd really like to know your thoughts on it.

Take care, Greg! Thanks for stopping by. You're always welcome. :)

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Greg,

I'm just curious: are you still running 3.8, and the new PF look is more or less cosmetic only? Or did you upgrade/change software? If so, what are you running now? Any issues with the data migration?

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
Greg,

I'm just curious: are you still running 3.8, and the new PF look is more or less cosmetic only? Or did you upgrade/change software? If so, what are you running now? Any issues with the data migration?
Hi Ackbach,

It's purely cosmetic. No change in software. Using a lot more CSS. Feels good :)

thanks!
Greg

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
At first I thought the background colour at MMF was better(blue) and also the quote box(yellow).But now,I am used to it and see no difference.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
On top of skin where it says 'Petrus','notifications','settings' and 'log out' Then on left side it says 'MATH HELP BOARDS.COM' there is bunch of formulas like \(\displaystyle e^{i\pi}+1=0\). I try figoure out all formula but I cant figoure it out. The formula I wrote I know it from eulers formula:)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
The formulas I can understand are explicitly,

1. \(\displaystyle e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0 \)

2. \(\displaystyle \chi(S) = V - E + F\)

3. \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}\)

#1 is by Euler's formula, #2 is probably the formula for regular polyhedra and #3 is well-known Bessel's theorem.

I don't know about the other two.

Last edited:

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I believe Chris said what they were in the chat once. The equation $$\nabla \times E = - \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$$ is one of Maxwell's equations, and $$L_X \omega = d(i_X \omega) + i_X d \omega$$ is the Lie derivative of a form. (Smile)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
$$L_X \omega = d(i_X \omega) + i_X d \omega$$ is the Lie derivative of a form. (Smile)
I knew I have seen it somewhere before! Thanks for ringing the bell!

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I believe Chris said what they were in the chat once. The equation $$\nabla \times E = - \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$$ is one of Maxwell's equations, and $$L_X \omega = d(i_X \omega) + i_X d \omega$$ is the Lie derivative of a form. (Smile)
In particular, $\mathcal{L}_X\omega=d(i_X\omega)+i_Xd\omega$ is commonly known as Cartan's magic formula.

To reiterate, the equations in the banner are the following:

1. $e^{i\pi}+1=0$ (Euler's formula)
2. $\chi(S)=V-E+F$ (Euler characteristic of a surface)
3. $\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}= \frac{\pi^2}{6}$ (solution to the Basel problem)
4. $\nabla \times \mathbf{E}=-\dfrac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}$ (Maxwell-Faraday Equation [Faraday's law of induction] in a vacuum)
5. $\mathcal{L}_X\omega=d(i_X\omega)+i_Xd\omega$ (Cartan's magic formula)

Last edited: