Who are the top ten philanthropists of the last five years?

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
In summary, Lyn argues that there are many people on the list who do not deserve the title of 'philanthropist' because they use their donations for personal gain rather than helping others. Lyn also argues that those who donate more than their net worth are nothing more than 'property speculators'.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
http://www.businessweek.com/pdfs/2005/0548_philsco.pdf

The top ten:

1. Gordon and Betty Moore
2. Bill and Melinda Gates
3. Warren Buffett
4. George Soros
5. Eli and Edythe Broad
6. James and Virginia Stowers
7. The Walton Family
8. Alfred Mann
9. Michael and Susan Dell
10. George Kaiser

These numbers are over the last five years. In terms of lifetime giving, no one even comes close to Bill and Melinda Gates, who have given nearly $28 billion, mostly to fund health, education, and libraries according to this document. The most impressive philanthropist on the list, however, might be Veronica Atkins, who has given a ridiculous 1000% of her current net worth to fighting obesity and diabetes. Another notable is NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg, who comes in at #13 on the list, setting a good example for the people of his city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure if this is based on a % of your worth there are bigger Philanthropists than listed here.. but 1000% is quiet generous :-)

Last edited:
Lyn, I originally thought you accidentally typed an extra zero, and meant to say Ms. Atkins gave 100% of her net worth to charity, but the list actually says 1,000%. How does one donate more money than they're worth? Have those people who donated more than their net worth (and there were quite a few who donated 200% or 300%) borrowed money to donate to charity? If not, how is that possible?

Or...
Is it giving as a percent of their current net worth?

wasteofo2 said:
How does one donate more money than they're worth?
Until they gave so much, they were worth more.

Didn't bill gates give something like $1,000,000,000 to charity last/a few years ago? And no one seemed to say a word about it... I mean politics aside and whether or not you agreed with where the money went... a billion freaken dollars!

Bill Gates uses donations for political and business gain. While this is 'giving to charity', it can't be called true 'philanthropy'.

RunDMC said:
Bill Gates uses donations for political and business gain. While this is 'giving to charity', it can't be called true 'philanthropy'.

What political and business gain?

Very very few people even know he's a democrat! What is your justification for saying that?

pfft, only 2, maybe 3 of those people could ever be called a 'philanthropist' and that's stretching it. They certainly don't deserve to be on the top 10.

Why all the hate for people giving millions of dollars to charity? I can't see why someone's intentions should matter when giving millions to those in need, so long as the money actuall helps people out.

It's like that thing with Chavez giving all that oil to poor people in Mass. and the Bronx, of course he's kinda doing it as a political stunt, but that doesn't really matter to the people who're going to be able to keep their homes warm this winter.

wasteofo2 said:
Why all the hate for people giving millions of dollars to charity? I can't see why someone's intentions should matter when giving millions to those in need, so long as the money actuall helps people out.
It's not that I hate them, I just see no reason to consider them beneficial or 'good' (with the possible exception of george soros). In the end it comes down to ideas about property.

Why does your one exception happen to be one of the biggest underminers of democracy in the United States... is an absolutely blinding example of Capitalism... the French caught him conducting insider trading... how can he be your exception?

I did say possible, I don't know very much about him.

russ_watters said:
Until they gave so much, they were worth more.
Or maybe it's that they have given that much money over their life time in comparison to their current net worth.
I was a bit confused at first too but that was the way that I eventually interpreted it.

It's a percentage of their current net worth. That means that, over the course of the last five years, she has given away ten times as much as she still has. If, for example, she is currently worth $100 million, then she has given away $1 billion over the last five years (the actual number is on the list, but I don't feel like looking it up), and was worth $1.1 billion five years ago.

of the ways they could have spent money for personal gains, i don't understand how giving hundreds of millions of dollars to charity would be high on the list.

It is despicable to, in effect, reserve the term "philantropist" to people with lots of money.

It's just a word, arildno. Calling someone a "philanthropist" in no way disparages someone else who has less and so donates less.

Related to Who are the top ten philanthropists of the last five years?

1. Who are the top philanthropists in the world?

The top philanthropists in the world are currently Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett, who have all pledged to donate the majority of their wealth to charitable causes.

2. How much money have the world's top philanthropists donated?

As of 2021, the world's top philanthropists have donated a combined total of over $300 billion to various charitable causes.

3. What types of causes do the world's top philanthropists support?

The world's top philanthropists support a wide range of causes, including global health initiatives, education, poverty alleviation, environmental conservation, and disaster relief.

4. How do the world's top philanthropists choose which organizations to support?

The world's top philanthropists often have their own personal causes and interests that they choose to support. They also conduct extensive research and due diligence to ensure that the organizations they support are legitimate and effective in achieving their goals.

5. Can anyone become a top philanthropist?

While anyone can become a philanthropist, it takes a significant amount of wealth and dedication to achieve the level of impact and recognition as the world's top philanthropists. However, even small donations can make a big difference in supporting important causes and helping those in need.

Back