White Gold Alloy Proportions: Is this Wikipedia Diagram Accurate?

• Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary, the contributing proportions of Cu, Au and Ag seem to add up to 150% for equal portions of each metal. However, this is just harder to read due to the way Wikipedia presents its diagrams.
Phrak
Is this Wikipedia diagram of white gold alloy wrong? The contributing proportions of Cu, Au and Ag seem to add up to 150% for equal portions of each metal.

350px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png

This is from the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold#White_gold"

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not wrong, it's just harder to read.

Any alloy is a point on the diagram, which is then transformed into 3 proportions of each totaling 100%.

The way to read. Set a random point or what alloy you want. from that point draw 3 lines parallel to the sides of the triangle. The %'s will be clearly visible and totaling 100%.

OK. Now I see it, now that you've stated it that way. The equipotential lines pinwheel counterclockwise and it seems to work out correctly.

For 33.3% of each it works out and the axes intersect in the center of the triange. Pinwheel to the right, instead, and you get 66,7% of each. I think the wikipedia contributors need to work a little harder in their presentation!

Phrak said:
I think the wikipedia contributors need to work a little harder in their presentation!

Wikipedia has its quirks, but don't blame it for your own lack of knowledge :wink: This method of presenting properties of three component mixtures predates wikipedia, see for example http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094_NoteBook/96ClassProj/experimental/ternary2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Phrak said:
OK. Now I see it, now that you've stated it that way. The equipotential lines pinwheel counterclockwise and it seems to work out correctly.

The rotaion can be clockwise too it all depends on the way you set the 0 to 100 % on each side. I'm sure there is a convention about this but, it's just the same and can appear sometimes.

Borek said:
Wikipedia has its quirks, but don't blame it for your own lack of knowledge :wink: This method of presenting properties of three component mixtures predates wikipedia, see for example...

Yeah, that was a bit harsh of me. The criticism of experts working for free should be gentle.

So I went to your quoted website and it said this,

"Reading the compositions of iron, chromium and nickel at any point on the stainless steel ternary phase diagram in Fig. 2 is simple. Instead of drawing one tie-line, as in a binary phase diagram , three lines are drawn, each parallel to a side of the triangle and going through the point in question. Extend the lines so they pass through an axes. To find the iron composition, the line drawn parallel to the axis opposite the Fe vertex is the one needed. The percent iron is then read off the axis."

OK. So we keep the vertex at x=0 in mind and draw the equipotentials of x so they are parallel to the axis opposite x=0. That helps.

And thanks Lok. That makes sense.

Last edited:

Related to White Gold Alloy Proportions: Is this Wikipedia Diagram Accurate?

What is a white gold alloy?

A white gold alloy is a combination of gold and other white metals such as nickel, palladium, or silver. This mixture creates a white or light gray color, making it a popular alternative to traditional yellow gold.

How is a white gold alloy created?

A white gold alloy is created by mixing pure gold with other white metals. The proportions of these metals can vary, resulting in different shades of white gold. For example, a higher percentage of nickel will create a whiter color, while a higher percentage of palladium will result in a more grayish color.

What is the purpose of the Wikipedia diagram for white gold alloy proportions?

The Wikipedia diagram for white gold alloy proportions is a visual representation of the different ratios of gold and other metals used to create white gold. It provides a general overview of the common proportions used in the jewelry industry. However, it should not be used as a definitive guide as different manufacturers may use different ratios.

Is the Wikipedia diagram for white gold alloy proportions accurate?

The accuracy of the Wikipedia diagram for white gold alloy proportions can vary. It is important to note that the proportions shown are not absolute and may vary depending on the source. It is always best to consult with a reputable jeweler for specific information on the white gold alloy used in a piece of jewelry.

Are there any other factors that can affect the color of white gold?

Yes, the color of white gold can also be affected by the surface treatment, such as rhodium plating, and the alloy's composition. Additionally, the color may change over time due to wear and tear or exposure to certain chemicals. It is important to consult with a jeweler on how to properly care for and maintain the color of your white gold jewelry.