Which theorem? Determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D

In summary, the Gauss-Bonnet Theorem explains how an n-dimensional object may appear flat in its own n-dimensional space, but can actually be distorted or bent in (n+1) dimensions.
Spacie
I am looking for a theorem that states approximately the following:

An n-dimensional object, while appearing perfectly regular within the n-dimensional space to which it belongs, can actually be bent or distorted in (n+1) dimensions.​
Please forgive my ignorance of the proper terms. I'm a newbie and want to learn.

Here is the my take on the problem on a simple model of Flatland suspended in 3 dimensions, exemplified with a sheet of paper in our familiar world (everything is examined in the framework of a hypothetical 3D Euclidean space) : In the simplified case of Flatland, the 3rd dimension emerges orthogonally from its 2D sheet. If I sample 2 points on Flatland's 2D plane, by drawing a line through each point into the 3rd dimension, orthogonal to the plane, and then compare the angle between the resulting 2 lines, then, if this angle is 0, it means that they are parallel to each other and the area between these 2 sampling points is flat. If not, this means that the 2D plane is curved in 3D between these 2 points.

That part was simple.

Now, in 4D, a 3D object has 3 bounding planes, orthogonal to each other (XY, XZ and YZ). Looking at this 3D object from within the same 3D (i.e. playing with a cube in our familiar 3D world), with nothing distorted:

XY XZ, XY YZ , XZ YZ
and if I draw a line a ⊥ XY, line b ⊥ XZ and line c ⊥ YZ,
these 3 lines, a b and c, are not parallel to each other. (they are in fact to each other).Now looking at 3D object from the 4th dimension, no distortions:

again I draw 3 lines orthogonal to XY, XZ and YZ, but this time I draw them into the 4th dimension:

a ⊥ XY, b ⊥ XY, c ⊥ YZ
in the 4th dimension, these 3 lines, a b and c, are parallel to each other.

In other words, from the point of view of the 4th dimension, the 3 planes XY, XZ and YZ belong to the same 4-plane -?

.. and if it is not flat (determined by similar test to Flatland above) then the 3-dimensional object in question is distorted in 4 dimensions -?Intuitively this appears evident to me, but.. instead of me re-inventing this bicycle, I'd like to avail myself of an already existing, properly formulated topological theorem. It got to be out there. What's it called and where can I find it?

Thank you for your feedback :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem you are looking for is known as the Gauss-Bonnet Theorem. It states, in part, that the curvature of an n-dimensional object is related to its topology and the Euler characteristic of the object. This theorem is described in greater detail in many textbooks on differential geometry and topology.

Related to Which theorem? Determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D

1. What is the purpose of determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D?

The purpose of determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D is to understand how the object's shape and size change when viewed from a higher dimensional perspective. This can provide insight into the behavior of objects in higher dimensions and can be useful in fields such as computer graphics and theoretical physics.

2. How is the distortion of a 3d-object in 4D calculated?

The distortion of a 3d-object in 4D is typically calculated using mathematical theorems and formulas, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the Minkowski sum. These calculations involve measuring the distances and angles of the object in 4D space and comparing them to the object's original measurements in 3D space.

3. Can the distortion of a 3d-object in 4D be visualized?

Yes, the distortion of a 3d-object in 4D can be visualized using computer simulations or by creating physical models in 4D space. However, it can be challenging for our 3D brains to fully comprehend or visualize objects in higher dimensions.

4. How does the distortion of a 3d-object in 4D affect its properties?

The distortion of a 3d-object in 4D can affect various properties of the object, such as its volume, surface area, curvature, and symmetry. These changes can be significant, and understanding them can provide valuable insights into the behavior of objects in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for determining distortion of a 3d-object in 4D. For example, it is used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models and animations, and in physics to explain phenomena in higher-dimensional space. It also has applications in architecture, engineering, and other fields where understanding objects in higher dimensions is important.