Which textbook is the best for learning organic chemistry?

In summary: I highly recommend it. In summary, this book is a great choice for someone looking for a book that builds on previous facts. It is also a great choice for someone looking for a book that justifies why the material is being presented.
Harrisonized
As the title states, what is the best book?

The book I'm using now is Vollhardt and Schore. I don't like it very much. The book is very spammy, if you know what I mean. I'd like a book that builds on previous facts. My current book just presents facts with little relation to previous topics, and reading it makes me wonder what the point of learning this material is (other than that I need to know them for the course).

I want something more of like a math or physics book, where everything is derived from a fundamental set of well-accepted facts, or at least something that justifies >why< the material is being presented in the book.

If you're recommending a book and you still have it, could you please provide some examples from the book where the above request is satisfied?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Harrisonized said:
I want something more of like a math book, where everything is derived from a fundamental set of well-accepted facts, or at least something that justifies >why< the material is being presented in the book.

It won't be easy. First of all - organic chemistry is not derived, we observed the reality and tried to explain it. And reality doesn't like to be pushed into simple categories, especially when it is so complex reality like the one observed in organic chemistry.

When it comes to material selection it is almost always a personal choice of the author. We can do some generalizations about observed reaction mechanisms. Some of them are more general and happen more often, some of them are less likely to happen or require some particular conditions to be observed. Those more general (like SN1, SN2, E1) will be described in every book. Those less general are always a matter of personal taste - each author will find different mechanisms more interesting for some reasons. Same about examples.

I thought the bible of organic chemistry was Morrison and Boyd? Or no?

I don't know. Without other people telling me of their experiences, I'm lost. I only have Vollhardt and Schore, and it's not working.

jackmell said:
I thought the bible of organic chemistry was Morrison and Boyd? Or no?

Not that I'm trying to necropost, but I finally obtained a copy of this book. It is amazing, and suits all of what I asked for.

Related to Which textbook is the best for learning organic chemistry?

1. What is the best organic chemistry book for beginners?

The best organic chemistry book for beginners is "Organic Chemistry" by Paula Yurkanis Bruice. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of organic chemistry, with clear explanations and helpful visual aids.

2. What is the most recommended organic chemistry book for advanced students?

The most recommended organic chemistry book for advanced students is "Organic Chemistry" by Jonathan Clayden, Nick Greeves, and Stuart Warren. This book covers a wide range of topics in depth, and includes challenging problems to test and improve understanding.

3. Are there any organic chemistry books that focus on mechanisms and reactions?

Yes, "Organic Chemistry: Mechanistic Patterns" by Joel Karty is a popular choice for its clear and organized approach to teaching mechanisms and reactions. It also includes helpful practice problems and visual aids.

4. Which organic chemistry book is best for self-study?

"Organic Chemistry As a Second Language" by David Klein is highly recommended for self-study. It breaks down key concepts into easily understandable language and provides practice problems and solutions for each topic.

5. Is there an organic chemistry book that covers both the fundamentals and advanced topics?

Yes, "Organic Chemistry" by Francis A. Carey and Robert M. Giuliano is a comprehensive book that covers both the basics and advanced topics in organic chemistry. It also includes a helpful study guide and practice problems.