Which structure is correct according to its name?

• Thread starter cli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the chemical has a name of Bis(2-ethylhexyl) 1,6-hexan-1,6-diylbiscarbamate, and it is a bis-carbamate compound with two ethylhexyl groups attached to the nitrogen of the urethane.
cli
HI,

A chemical has a name of Bis(2-ethylhexyl) 1,6-hexan-1,6-diylbiscarbamate, I wonder which structure is correct (sorry it seems like I can only paste smile strings, You can see the structures by depicting them on http://www.daylight.com/daycgi_tutorials/depict.cgi):

1.CCCCC(CC)CC(CCCCCOC(N)=O)(CC(CC)CCCC)OC(N)=O

2.C(OC(C[C@@H](CC)CCCC)(C[C@@H](CC)CCCC)CCCCCOC(=O)N)(=O)N

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't follow your link and I definitely can't make out your notation so, I'll try to answer it without referring to your 2 choices.

It is a bis(2-ethylhexyl) carbamate compound. That part structure is a urethane with two ethylhexyl groups attached to the nitrogen of the urethane.

It is also a bis-carbamate, so there are two of these bis(2-ethylhexyl)-substituted urethanes in the compound. They are separated by an n-hexane chain.

Soooo... if I were to attempt your notation, I would say it was:

(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]NC(=O)O(CCCCCC)OC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]

which isn't one of your choices (I think).

Good luck with it.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help!

I couldn't retrieve the structure for (CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]NC(=O)O(CCCCCC)OC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub], is this a smile string? Could you please let me know how I can get the structure?

I kind of understand what you mean, just want to double check with the structure to make sure my understanding is correct.

It isn't a smile string. It is my attempt to copy what I believed to be your nomenclature.

Note: Where you see "(CC(CC)CCCC)2NC(C=O)..." you should replace with "(CC(CC)CCCC)2NC(C=O)..."

edit: Hmmmm... now the subscript is working!

Here's the SMILES code:

CCCCC(CC)CN(CC(CC)CCCC)C(=O)OCCCCCCOC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)CC(CC)CCCC

Last edited:

Related to Which structure is correct according to its name?

1. What is the importance of correctly identifying a structure's name?

Correctly identifying a structure's name is crucial in science as it allows for accurate communication and understanding among scientists. It also ensures that the correct information is being used for experiments and research.

2. How can I determine which structure is correct according to its name?

One way to determine the correct structure is by using various analytical techniques such as spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These methods can provide detailed information about the structure and help confirm its name.

3. Can a structure have multiple correct names?

Yes, a structure can have multiple correct names depending on the naming system used. For example, organic compounds can have both a systematic name and a common name that are both considered correct.

4. What are some common mistakes when identifying a structure's name?

Some common mistakes when identifying a structure's name include confusing similar sounding names, using incorrect prefixes or suffixes, and misinterpreting the structure's configuration or functional groups.

5. Is it possible to determine a structure's name just by looking at it?

In some cases, it may be possible to determine a structure's name by visual inspection, especially for simple and commonly used structures. However, for more complex and unique structures, using analytical techniques is necessary to confirm its name.