Which Statements about the P Orbitals of Butadiene are True?

• Thread starter parwana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, butadiene (C4H6) has four pi orbitals, each made up of a p orbital on each carbon. The lowest energy molecular orbital has no additional nodes besides the one in the plane of the molecule. The second lowest has one node, the next highest has two nodes, and the highest has three nodes. The highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) is the one with one node (besides the one in the plane of the molecule), and it contains two electrons. Therefore, the correct statements are d) Butadiene has two filled pi orbitals, e) The highest energy filled pi orbital in butadiene has one node besides the plane of the molecule, and f) The highest energy
parwana
Consider the delocalized P orbitals of butadiene (above). Which of the following statements are true ?
C4H6, it has 2 double bonds

a) Butadiene has 2 P orbitals

b) Butadiene has 8 P electrons

c) The highest energy P orbital in butadiene has no nodes besides the plane of the molecule

d) Butadiene has two filled P orbitals

e) The highest energy filled P orbital in butadiene has one node, besides the plane of the molecule

f) The highest energy filled P orbital in butadiene is antibonding between carbons 2 and 3

which of those are right??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
please help, i know it will have 4 electrons, and 4 pi orbitals(2 bonding and 2 antibonding), but what about the rest?? Also i know the bonding orbitals will be filled, while the antibonding will be empty.

First off, I would speculate about presence of only two P orbitals, as there are four carbons with 2P orbitals each, so a, b, and d don't seem to be correct. It is possible though, b may be correct nevertheless, since the CH carbons may contribute to delocalization, I am not sure about this.

Maybe molecular orbital diagrams may help you about deciding which orbitals are filled.

so is it c, e, f, cause iam sure a and b are not correct, but isn't d correct, since there are 2 pi bonds, and 4 electrons total, and two pi bonding orbitals will be filled with 2 electrons each and the antibonding ones will be left out.

Attachments

• bonds.bmp
    34.8 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
According to your reasoning, d seems to be correct. You may also want to view "P orbitals" thread, in Atoms, Molecules and Solids division.

i don't think a, b, and c are correct, please help me about e and f as iam confused on them, please tell me what u think would be correct. Also look at my attachment of the lewis structure of butadeine

Do you mean p orbitals or pi orbitals. P orbitals are atomic orbitals, pi orbitals are molecular orbitals. It makes a big difference!

so which of the answers are right then??

As Movies said, there are not P orbitals in butadiene anymore, let's treat them as if it reads "pi orbitals", since the other doesn't make sense.

About nodal planes, frankly, I have not much ideas. But I know that two P orbitals with the same symmetry combines with each other to produce a pi orbital. This molecular orbital has a geometry in which the bonds are inside and outside of the plane.

The final answer lies on finding the molecular orbital diagram or at least the nodal representation of the molecule. Sorry I haven't been of much help.

so u don't know which of those could be correct?

If it did say pi orbitals then I think all of the last three would be correct, unless my recollection is wrong.

u are right it is d, e, and f, but why e?

There are pi molecular orbitals of butadiene, and they are parallel to the plane, by combination of two p atomic orbitals. This is probably what is intended by saying "besides the plane of the molecule"

So there are 4 pi orbitals, right? They are made up of a p orbital (atomic orbital) on each carbon. Each p orbital has a node in the plane of the butadiene, right? Other than that the lowest energy molecular orbital will have no additional nodes, the second lowest will have 1 node, the next highest 2 nodes, and the highest will have 3 nodes. The nodes arise when the p orbitals are out of phase with the orbital next to it. So if you think of the phase of the orbitals as X or O then you would have these four orbitals:

XOXO (highest E)
XOOX
XXOO
XXXX (lowest E)

There are only 4 electrons to distribute and each orbital can "hold" two electrons. So the highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) is the one with one node (in addition to the one in the plane of the butadiene).

This is a great explanation, thank you Movies.

Related to Which Statements about the P Orbitals of Butadiene are True?

1. What is Butadiene (C4H6)?

Butadiene is a colorless gas with a slightly sweet odor. It is a hydrocarbon compound with the chemical formula C4H6, meaning it contains 4 carbon atoms and 6 hydrogen atoms.

2. How many double bonds does Butadiene have?

Butadiene has 2 double bonds, located between the carbon atoms in its molecular structure. These double bonds give Butadiene its unique properties and make it useful in various industrial processes.

3. What is the role of Butadiene in the petrochemical industry?

Butadiene is an important monomer, or building block, in the production of synthetic rubber and other polymers. It is also used in the production of plastics, resins, and other industrial materials.

4. Is Butadiene harmful to human health?

Butadiene is considered a hazardous chemical and can be harmful to human health if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Long-term exposure to Butadiene has been linked to increased risk of cancer and other health issues, so proper safety precautions should be taken when handling this substance.

5. How is Butadiene produced?

Butadiene is primarily produced through the steam cracking of hydrocarbons, such as ethane, propane, or naphtha. This process breaks down larger molecules into smaller ones, including Butadiene, which can then be separated and purified.