Which Statements About Elements in the Periodic Table are True?

• Thread starter Jay J
  • Start date
In summary: Turns out there was ANOTHER technical error, thanks 4 the help!--In summary, the statements are:a) Most of the elements in the periodic table are nonmetals.b) The metallic elements have similar properties: they conduct electricity well, are ductile and have high densities.c) Nonmetals are much less diverse in their physical properties than metals are.d) Fluorine, bromine and helium are all diatomic molecules.e) Only about six of the elements in the periodic table are liquids at room temperature.
Jay J
Pick the "TRUE" Statements?

Homework Statement

Which of the following are true statements ?

a) Most of the elements in the periodic table are nonmetals.

b) The metallic elements have similar properties: they conduct electricity well, are ductile and have high densities.

c) Nonmetals are much less diverse in their physical properties than metals are.

d) Fluorine, bromine and helium are all diatomic molecules.

e) Only about six of the elements in the periodic table are liquids at room temperature.

Homework Equations

chem ones lol

The Attempt at a Solution

alright here's my answers:

A. I got was false because most of the elements are metal.
B. I got was true because they all do have similar properties.
C. I got was true because there are more metals, so the metals are more diverse.
D. I got was false because Helium is not a diatomic molecule.
E. I got was false because there are less then 6 elements which are liquids at room temperature.

so my answer for which ones were true is B&C . . . but it keeps telling me I am wrong.

Help Please?

Physics news on Phys.org

As you have said in B - all metals are alike. Does it hold for non-metals?

--

That would be my line of thinking.

--

Some metals float on water, so even B can be false. But IMHO that's nitpicking.

--

Borek said:
Some metals float on water, so even B can be false. But IMHO that's nitpicking.

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode

lol they can't all be false becuse then you wouldn't even have to put in an answer . . its part of an online thing I am doing and i even went to the help room in which they told me to try B alone or B & C. But they said more likely just B was the only TRUE answer so idk . .

any other ideas?

Turns out there was ANOTHER technical error, thanks 4 the help

Related to Which Statements About Elements in the Periodic Table are True?

What is the purpose of "Pick the TRUE Statements?"

The purpose of "Pick the TRUE Statements" is to test the reader's ability to distinguish between true and false statements and to assess their critical thinking skills.

How can I improve my performance in "Pick the TRUE Statements?"

To improve your performance in "Pick the TRUE Statements," you can practice evaluating the accuracy of statements and work on strengthening your critical thinking skills. You can also familiarize yourself with the topic being tested to better understand the statements.

Are there any tips for approaching "Pick the TRUE Statements?"

Some tips for approaching "Pick the TRUE Statements" include reading the statements carefully, considering the context in which they are presented, and avoiding making assumptions. It can also be helpful to eliminate any obviously false statements first and then focus on evaluating the remaining statements.

Is there a specific strategy for answering "Pick the TRUE Statements?"

There is no one specific strategy for answering "Pick the TRUE Statements." However, some effective strategies include using process of elimination, verifying statements with outside sources, and carefully considering the wording of each statement.

Can "Pick the TRUE Statements" be biased?

While the test itself is not biased, the statements presented may be biased depending on the topic being tested. It is important to approach each statement objectively and evaluate its accuracy based on evidence and reasoning.